The Theoretical Connections Between Agile Software Development and Innovative Climate
Agile software development methods are claimed to fully expose the innovation capabilities of a software development team. In the current business world, where the new innovations are seen as keys for survival and growth of the firm, these development methods have been welcomed and widely adapted. There, however, is a lack of understanding how these methods drive innovation. Therefore, in this study we analyse agile principles and practices against established innovation climate dimensions. The mapping used in analysis is done by the authors and provides a starting point for further scientific discussion. The results show that there is a clear link between practices and several classical innovation climate dimensions. However, a few dimensions are only covered by the agile principles. The study concludes by proposing new avenues for further work in agile software development research.
KeywordsAgile software development Agile practice Agile principle Innovation Innovation factor Innovation climate
Tomi Juhola is grateful for Turku University Foundation and Ulla Tuominen Foundation for financially supporting his dissertation work on innovations in agile software development context.
- 2.Juhola, T., Hyrynsalmi, S., Leppänen, V., Mäkilä, T.: Agile software development and innovation: a systematic literature review. In: Proceedings of 6th ISPIM Innovation Symposium: Innovation in the Asian century, pp. 1–19. ISPIM (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Beaney, M.: Analysis, Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy. http://www.plato.stanford.edu/entries/analysis/ (2014). Accessed April 2015
- 4.Abrahamsson, P., Salo, O., Ronkainen, J., Warsta, J.: Agile software development methods: review and analysis. VTT Publications 478, VTT, Espoo, Finland (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Agile manifesto. http://www.agilemanifesto.org (2001). Accessed April 2015
- 7.Guide to Agile Practices. http://guide.agilealliance.org/. Accessed April 2015
- 8.Appelo, J.: Big list of agile practices. http://noop.nl/2009/04/the-big-list-of-agile-practices.html (2009). Accessed April 2015
- 9.Schumpeter, J.A.: The Theory of Economic Development. Transaction Publishers, New Brunswick (1934)Google Scholar
- 12.Regnell, B., Höst, M., Nilsson, F., Bengtsson, H.: A measurement framework for team level assessment of innovation capability in early requirements engineering. In: Bomarius, F., Oivo, M., Jaring, P., Abrahamsson, P. (eds.) PROFES 2009. LNBIP, vol. 32, pp. 71–86. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Chesbrough, H.W.: Open Innovation: the New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology. Harvard Business School Press, Boston (2003)Google Scholar