Integrative medicine, or integrative health care, is a field of medicine that unites a strong focus on lifestyle medicine and prevention with the inclusion of safe and effective options from a wide range of complementary and alternative disciplines. Given the high percentage of patients seeking out integrative approaches, as well as the increasing presence of integrative medicine in US hospitals, health care systems, and academic medical centers, it is essential that health care providers be familiar with the available options, risk–benefit data, and trusted resources for information. This chapter provides an overview of the evolving field of integrative medicine, its relation to lifestyle medicine, and how current research might be used to counsel a patient with type 2 diabetes with regard to dietary supplements, mind–body medicine, manual therapies, energy medicine, and whole healing systems.
KeywordsIntegrative medicine Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) Acupuncture massage Energy medicine Dietary supplements Naturopathic medicine Functional medicine Homeopathy
Academic naturopathic clinic
Body mass index
Complementary and alternative medicine
Diabetic neuropathy symptom
Five Facet Mindfulness Questionnaire
Homeopathic Pharmacopeia of the United States
Institute for Functional Medicine
Mindfulness-based stress reduction
Medical Symptom Questionnaire
National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
National Center for Research on Complementary and Integrative Health
Public Health Service
Randomized controlled trial
Summary Diabetes Self-Care Activities Questionnaire
Short Form 12
Traditional Chinese medicine
- 1.Now RJ. Let me tell you about my appendectomy in Peking. NY Times. 26 July 1971;1(6).Google Scholar
- 8.Rakel D, Weil A. Philosophy of integrative medicine. In: Rakel D, editor. Integrative medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Inc.; 2012. p. 2–11.Google Scholar
- 9.Integrative Medicine in America. How integrative medicine is being practiced in clinical centers across the United States [Internet]. [cited 2014 May 27]. http://www.bravewell.org/current_projects/mapping_field/.
- 10.Ananth S. 2010 Complementary and Alternative Medicine Survey of Hospitals: Summary of Results [Internet]. Health Forum American Hospital Association and the Samueli Institute. 2011 Sept. http://www.siib.org/our-research/integrative-medicine/im-publications/our-research/integrative-medicine/im-publications.
- 12.Integrative Medicine [Internet]. Tampa (FL): The American Board of Physician Specialties; c2014 [cited 2014 May 31]. http://www.abpsus.org/integrative-medicine/integrative-medicine.
- 13.IMConcortium.org [Internet]. Consortium of Academic Health Centers for Integrative Medicine; [updated 2013 Nov 5; cited 2014 May 29]. http://www.imconsortium.org.
- 14.Doctor’s Page [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine; [cited 2014 May 31]. http://nccam.nih.gov/about/offices/od/comments/about/offices/od/comments.
- 16.Barnes PM, Bloom B, Nahin R. The use of complementary and alternative medicine in the United States: findings from the 2007 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) conducted by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) and the National Center for Health Statistics. CDC Natl Health Statistics Rep #12 [Internet]. 2008 Dec [cited 2014 May 31]. http://nccam.nih.gov/news/camstats/2007/camsurvey_fs1.htm.
- 22.Reljanovic M, Reichel G, Rett K, Lobisch M, Schuette K, Möller W, et al. Treatment of diabetic polyneuropathy with the antioxidant thioctic acid (alpha-lipoic acid): a 2-year, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial (ALADIN II). Alpha Lipoic Acid in Diabetic Neuropathy [abstract]. Free Radic Res. 1999;31:171–7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Clar C, Tsertsvadze A, Court R, Hundt GL, Clarke A, Sutcliffe P. Clinical effectiveness of manual therapy for the management of musculoskeletal and non-musculoskeletal conditions: systematic review and update of UK evidence report. Chiropr Man Therap. 2014;22:12. Epub 2014 March 28.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 31.Furlan AD, Imamura M, Dryden T, Irvin E. Massage for low-back pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008;(4).Google Scholar
- 44.Hartmann M, Kopf S, Kircher C, Faude-Lang V, Djuric Z, Augstein F, et al. Sustained effects of a mindfulness-based stress-reduction intervention in type 2 diabetic patients: design and first results of a randomized controlled trial (the Heidelberger Diabetes and Stress-study). Diabetes Care. 2012;35:945–7.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 45.Victorson D, Kentor M, Maletich C, Lawton RC, Kaufman VH, Borrero M, Languido L, Lewett K, Pancoe H, Berkowitz C. A systematic review and meta-analysis of mindfulness-based randomized controlled trials relevant to lifestyle medicine. Am J Lifestyle Med. Published online July 10, 2014 before print.Google Scholar
- 47.Barnes PM, Bloom B, Nahin R. Complementary and alternative medicine use among adults and children: United States, 2007. CDC National Health Statistics Report #12. 2008.Google Scholar
- 49.Latest Survey Shows More Hospital Offering Complementary and Alternative Medicine Services [Internet]. American Hospital Association; c2006-14 [cited 2014 May 26]. www.aha.org/presscenter/pressrel/2008/080915-pr-cam.shtml/presscenter/pressrel/2008/080915-pr-cam.shtml.
- 50.HealingBeyondBorders.org [Internet]. Healing Touch International; c1997 [cited 2014 May 26]. www.healingbeyondborders.org.
- 51.Position Statements [Internet]. American Nurses Association; c2014 [cited 2014 May 26]. www.ahna.org/Resources/Publications/Position-Statements/Resources/Publications/Position-Statements.
- 54.Winstead-Fry P, Kijek J. An integrative review and meta-analysis of therapeutic touch research. Alternative. 1999;5(6):58–67.Google Scholar
- 57.Firth K, Smith K. 2007 survey of healing environments in American hospitals: nature and prevalence. Samueli Institute, 2011. www.samueliinstitute.org/file%20library/our%20research/ohe/ohe-hospital-survey-final-report-2007.pdf/file%20library/our%20research/ohe/ohe-hospital-survey-final-report-2007.pdf. Accessed 6 Aug 2014.
- 60.AANMC.org [Internet]. Washington (DC): Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges; c2014 [cited 2014 May 27]. http://aanmc.org.
- 61.Licensed States & Licensing Authorities [Internet]. American Association of Naturopathic Physicians; c2014 [cited 2014 May 27]. http://www.naturopathic.org/content.asp?contentid=57.
- 66.FunctionalMedicine.org [Internet]. Institute for Functional Medicine; c2014 [cited 2014 May 27]. www.functionalmedicine.org/.
- 67.Functional Medicine Matrix [Internet]. Institute for Functional Medicine; c2013 [cited 2014 May 27]. www.functionalmedicine.org/files/library/ifm-matrix-teaching.pdf/files/library/ifm-matrix-teaching.pdf.
- 68.Franic D, Snapp C, DeBusk R. Newly developed functional medicine program in diabetes: impact on clinical and patient reported outcomes—functional medicine and quality of life. BMC Complementary Altern Med. 2012;12(Suppl 1):S1.Google Scholar
- 69.Gillian E, Callender T, Gaster B. Integrative medicine at academic health centers: a survey of clinicians’ educational backgrounds and practices. Fam Med. 2013;45(5):330–4.Google Scholar
- 71.CPG Sec. 400.400 Conditions Under Which Homeopathic Drugs May be Marketed [Internet]. Silver Spring (MD): U.S. Food and Drug Administration; [updated 2010 Jan 12; cited 2014 May 26]. www.fda.gov/iceci/compliancemanuals/compliancepolicyguidancemanual/ucm074360.htm.
- 73.Dannemann K, Hecker W, Haberlan H, Herbst A, Galler A, Schafer T, et al. Use of complementary and alternative medicine in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus—prevalence, patterns of use, and costs. Pediatr Diabetes. 2008;9(3 Pt 1):228–35.Google Scholar
- 80.Chen W, Yang GY, Liu B, Manheimer E, Liu JP. Manual acupuncture for treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathy: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. PLoS ONE. 2013;12:8(9). eCollection 2013.Google Scholar
- 84.Sridharan K, Mohan R, Ramaratnam S, Panneerselvam D. Ayurvedic treatments for diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011;(12).Google Scholar
- 88.Nahin RL, Barnes PM, Stussman BJ, Bloom B. Costs of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) and frequency of visits to CAM practitioners: United States, 2007. Natl Health Stat Report. 2009;(18):1–14.Google Scholar
- 89.HealthCare [Internet]. Washington (DC): US Department of Health and Human Services; [cited 2014 June 1]. www.hhs.gov/healthcare/healthcare.
- 90.FAQs about the Affordable Care Implementation Part XV. [Internet]. Washington (DC): U.S. Department of Labor; 2013 Apr 29 [cited 2014 June 1]. www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-aca15.html/ebsa/faqs/faq-aca15.html.
- 91.Jellin JM, Gregory PJ, et al. Natural medicines comprehensive database. www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed 10 June 2014.