Grounding Serious Game Design on Scientific Findings: The Case of ENACT on Soft Skills Training and Assessment
The lack of open-access tool for the enhancement and promotion of soft skills is bringing the e-learning community to new educational challenges. The paper describes the implementation of ENACT, an online serious game for the standardised psychometric assessment and training of users’ negotiation skills through the interaction with virtual artificial agents. The assessment process is divided into 8 scenarios based on real life situations and investigates the user negotiation styles in relation to Rahim’s conceptualization of five different styles of handling conflict. Need analysis data and preliminary testing results of the platform are presented.
Keywordse-Learning Technology-enhanced eearning Serious games Simulation-based learning Psychometric assessment Negotiation Soft skills
This research has been supported by the European Commission, project ENACT (43301-LLP-1-2013-1-UK-KA3-KA3MP) from the LLP 2013 Key Activity 3.
- 1.European Union, Recommendation of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2006 on key competences for lifelong learning (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.ABET, Criteria for Accrediting Engineering Programs (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Yardley-Matwiejczuk, K.M.: Role Play: Theory and Practice. Sage, London (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Moreno, J.L.: Psychodrama, Fourth Edition with New Introduction, vol. 1, Beacon House Inc., Beacon N.Y. 1977 (1946)Google Scholar
- 5.Miglino, O., Di Ferdinando, A., Rega, A., Benincasa, B.: SISINE: Teaching negotiation through a multiplayer online role playing game. In: Proceedings of the 6th European Conference on E-Learning, pp. 439– 448. Academic Conferences Limited (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang, L., Gillies, M., Dhaliwal, K., Gower, A., Robertson, D., Crabtree, B.: E-Drama: facilitating online role-play using an AI actor and emotionally expressive characters. Int. J. Artif. Intell. Edu. 19(1), 5–38 (2009). Goldsmiths Research Online Google Scholar
- 7.Johnson, W.L.: Using virtual role-play to prepare for cross-cultural communication. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics AHFE 2014, Poland (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Dryden, W., Constantinou, D.: Assertiveness step by step. Sheldon Press, London (2004)Google Scholar