Teachers’ Perceptions About the HANDSON MOOC: A Learning Design Studio Case
Recently, Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) have been proposed as relevant instruments for professional development. This paper reports on two editions of the HANDSON MOOC for teacher professional development. The MOOCs use the Learning Design Studio methodology as a pedagogical framework, the Integrated Learning Design Environment (ILDE) as the design infrastructure, and Moodle and Canvas as delivery platforms. The paper summarizes the design of both MOOCs, including the supporting technologies, and presents an analysis of the evolution of teachers’ perceived level of conform with approach and tooling. Data is collected in weekly and final surveys. The results show a general satisfactory level of conform in both MOOCs, which is especially high the last two weeks.
KeywordsLearning design MOOC Continuous Professional Development
This work has been partially funded by EACEA, Hands-On ICT Project 531086-LLP-1-2012-1-ES-KA3-KA3MP, with the collaboration of the METIS Project 531262-LLP-2012-ES-KA3-KA3MP.
- 1.Mor, Y., Craft, B., Hernández-Leo, D.: Editorial: the art and science of learning design. Res. Learn. Technol. 21 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Fetter, S., Berlanga, A.J., Sloep, P.B., Vuorikari, R.: Major trends arising from the network, Tellnet deliverable 3.1, Brussels, Belgium (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Daly, C., Pachler, N., Pelletier, C.: Continuing Professional Development in ICT for teachers. WLE Centre, Institute of Education, University of London (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Cross, S.: Evaluation of the OLDS MOOC curriculum design course: participant perspectives, expectations and experiences, Milton Keynes, UK (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Laurillard, D.: Anatomy of a MOOC for Teacher CPD, Technical report. UCL Institute of Education (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Hernández-Leo, D., Asensio-Pérez, J.I., Derntl, M., Prieto, L.P., Chacón, J.: ILDE: community environment for conceptualizing, authoring and deploying learning activities. In: de Freitas, S., Rensing, C., Ley, T., Muñoz-Merino, P.J. (eds.) EC-TEL 2014. LNCS, vol. 8719, pp. 490–493. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Venkatesh, V., Morris, M., Davis, G., Davis, F.: User acceptance of information technology: toward a unified view. MIS Q. 27, 425–478 (2003)Google Scholar