In this chapter, layout planning concepts are discussed. It starts with an introductory case-study considering layout planning at a distribution center for spare parts. At the beginning, the role of layout planning in supply chain and operations management is discussed. Next, layout planning concepts in manufacturing and logistics are presented. Finally, quantitative and qualitative methods of layout planning are discussed. The concepts are reinforced by examples for manufacturing and warehouse layouts.
- Bicheno J (2004) The new lean toolbox. PICSIE Books, BuckinghamGoogle Scholar
- Heizer J, Render B (2013) Operations management: sustainability and supply chain management, 11th edn. Pearson, HarlowGoogle Scholar
- Martin JW (2007) Lean six sigma for supply chain management – the 10-step solution process. McGraw Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Schenk M, Wirth S, Müller E (2014) Fabrikplanung und Fabrikbetrieb. Methoden für die wandlungsfähige, vernetzte und ressourceneffiziente Fabrik, 2nd edn. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Schonberger RJ (2008) Best practices in lean six sigma process improvement – a deeper look. Wiley, Hoboken, NJGoogle Scholar
- Slack N, Chambers S, Johnston R (2010) Operations management, 6th edn. Pearson, HarlowGoogle Scholar