Physical Processes Leading to Surface Inhomogeneities: The Case of Rotation
In this lecture I discuss the bulk surface heterogeneity of rotating stars, namely gravity darkening. I especially detail the derivation of the ω-model of Espinosa Lara and Rieutord (Astron Astrophys 533:A43, 2011), which gives the gravity darkening in early-type stars. I also discuss the problem of deriving gravity darkening in stars owning a convective envelope and in those that are members of a binary system.
KeywordsEffective Temperature Differential Rotation Stellar Surface Roche Lobe Turbulent Convection
I am grateful to the organizers of the Besançon school for their invitation, and the opportunity to present in more details the recent work I did with Francisco Espinosa Lara on gravity darkening. This school triggered many stimulating discussions that helped me deepen this subject. Finally, I would like to stress that this work owes much to Francisco who had the original idea of the ω-model.
- Alecian, G. (2013). Atomic diffusion in the atmospheres of upper main-sequence stars. In New advances in stellar physics: From microscopic to macroscopic processes. EAS Publications Series (Vol. 63, pp. 219–226).Google Scholar
- Christensen-Dalsgaard, J., & Reiter, J. (1995). A comparison of precise solar models with simplified physics. In R. K. Ulrich, E. J. Rhodes, Jr., & W. Dappen (Eds.), ASP Conf. Ser. 76: GONG 1994. Helio- and Astro-Seismology from the Earth and Space (p. 136).Google Scholar
- Domiciano de Souza, A., Kervella, P., Moser Faes, D., Dalla Vedova, G., Mérand, A., Le Bouquin, J.-B., et al. (2014). The environment of the fast rotating star Achernar. III. Photospheric parameters revealed by the VLTI. Astronomy and Astrophysics, 569, A10.Google Scholar
- Korhonen, H., González, J. F., Briquet, M., Flores Soriano, M., Hubrig, S., Savanov, I., et al. (2013). Chemical surface inhomogeneities in late B-type stars with Hg and Mn peculiarity. I. Spot evolution in HD 11753 on short and long time scales. Astronomy and Astrophysics, 553, A27.Google Scholar
- Rieutord, M. (2006). On the dynamics of radiative zones in rotating star. In M. Rieutord, & B. Dubrulle (Eds.), Stellar fluid dynamics and numerical simulations: From the sun to neutron stars. EAS (Vol. 21, pp. 275–295).Google Scholar
- Stein, R. F., & Nordlund, Å. (1998). Simulations of solar granulation. I. General properties. The Astrophysical Journal, 499, 914.Google Scholar
- von Zeipel, H. (1924). Zum Strahlungsgleichgewicht der Sterne. In Probleme der Astronomie (Festschrift für H. von Seeliger) (pp. 144–152). Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar