Reliability Analysis of Post-Tensioned Bridge Using Artificial Neural Network-Based Surrogate Model
The reliability analysis of complex structural systems requires utilization of approximation methods for calculation of reliability measures with the view of reduction of computational efforts to an acceptable level. The aim is to replace the original limit state function by an approximation, the so-called response surface, whose function values can be computed more easily. In the paper, an artificial neural network based response surface method in the combination with the small-sample simulation technique is introduced. An artificial neural network is used as a surrogate model for approximation of original limit state function. Efficiency is emphasized by utilization of the stratified simulation for the selection of neural network training set elements. The proposed method is employed for reliability assessment of post-tensioned composite bridge. Response surface obtained is independent of the type of distribution or correlations among the basic variables.
KeywordsArtificial neural network Latin hypercube sampling Response surface method Reliability Failure probability Load-bearing capacity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Melchers, E.M.: Structural Reliability Analysis and Prediction. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Chichester (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Myers, R.H.: Response Surface Methodology. Allyn and Bacon, New York (1971)Google Scholar
- 8.Koehler, J.R., Owen, A.B.: Computer experiments. In: Ghosh, S., Rao, C.R. (eds.) Handbook of Statistics 13, pp. 261–308. Elsevier Science, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 12.Červenka, V., Jendele, L., Červenka, J.: ATENA Program Documentation – Part 1: Theory. Cervenka Consulting, Prague (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Czech technical standard – ČSN 73 6222: Load bearing capacity of road bridges. Czech Office for Standards, Metrology and Testing, Prague (in Czech) (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Joint Committee on Structural Safety: Probabilistic Model Code. http://www.jcss.byg.dtu.dk/Publications/ (last updated December 6, 2013)
- 16.Technical specifications – TP 224: Ověřování existujících betonových mostů pozemních komunikací (Verification of existing concrete road bridges). Ministry of Transport of Czech Republic, Department of Road Infrastructure, Prague (in Czech) (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Šomodíková, M., Doležel, J., Lehký, D.: Probabilistic load bearing capacity assessment of post-tensioned composite bridge. In: Novák, D., Vořechovský, M. (eds.) Proceedings of the 11th International Probabilistic Workshop, Brno, pp. 451–460 (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Czech technical standard – ČSN EN 1992-1-1. Eurocode 2: Design of concrete structures – Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings. Czech Standardization Institute, Prague (in Czech) (2006)Google Scholar