The Cacophony of Interconnected Networks
- 1.4k Downloads
The harmony of an orchestra emerges from the individual effort of musicians towards mutual synchronization of their tempi. When the orchestra is split between two concert halls communicating via Internet, a time delay is imposed which might hinder synchronization. We present this type of system as two interconnected networks of oscillators with a time delay and analyze its dynamics as a function of the couplings and communication lag. We describe a breathing synchronization regime, namely, for a wide range of parameters, two groups emerge in the orchestra within the same concert hall playing at different tempi. Each group has a mirror in the other hall, one group is in phase and the other in anti-phase with their mirrors. For strong couplings, a phase shift between halls might occur. The implications of our findings on other interconnected systems are also discussed.
KeywordsInterconnected Network Physarum Polycephalum Couple Network Functional Brain Network Kuramoto Model
Authors would like to thank the Swiss National Science Foundation under contract 200021 126853, the CNPq, Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico - Brasil, the CNPq/FUNCAP Pronex grant, the ETH Zürich Risk Center, and the INCT-SC-Brasil for financial support. This work was also supported by grant number FP7-319968 of the European Research Council. NA acknowledges financial support from the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) under Contract no. IF/00255/2013.
- 2.Araújo, N.A.M., Seybold, H., Baram, R.M., Herrmann, H.J., Andrade Jr, J.S.: Optimal synchronizability of bearings. Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 064,106 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Gómez, S., Díaz-Guilera, A., Gómez-Gardeñes, J., Pérez-Vicente, C.J., Moreno, Y., Arenas, A.: Diffusion dynamics on multiplex networks. Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 028,701 (2013)Google Scholar
- 16.Helbing, D.: Systemic Risks in Society and Economics. Paper prepared for IRGC Workshop on Emerging Risks, Geneva (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.Li, C., Sun, W., Kurths, J.: Synchronization between two coupled complex networks. Phys. Rev. E 76, 046,204 (2007)Google Scholar
- 30.Shang, Y., Chen, M., Kurths, J.: Generalized synchronization of complex networks. Phys. Rev. E 80, 027,201 (2009)Google Scholar
- 31.Strogatz, S.H.: The Emerging Science of Spontaneous Order. Hyperion, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 35.Wu, X., Zheng, W.X., Zhou, J.: Generalized outer synchronization between complex dynamical networks. Chaos 19, 013,109 (2009)Google Scholar