Multilayer Networks: Metrics and Spectral Properties
- 1.5k Downloads
Multilayer networks represent systems in which there are several topological levels each one representing one kind of interaction or interdependency between the systems’ elements. These networks have attracted a lot of attention recently because their study allows considering different dynamical modes concurrently. Here, we revise the main concepts and tools developed up to date. Specifically, we focus on several metrics for multilayer network characterization as well as on the spectral properties of the system, which ultimately enable for the dynamical characterization of several critical phenomena. The theoretical framework is also applied for description of real-world multilayer systems.
KeywordsMultiplex Networks Topological Level Coupling Graph Epidemic Spreading Process Online Social Networks (OSNs)
EC was supported by the FPI program of the Government of Aragon, Spain. This work has been partially supported by MINECO through Grant FIS2011-25167 to YM, Comunidad de Aragón (Spain) through FENOL to EC and YM; and by the EC FET-Proactive Project PLEXMATH (grant 317614) to YM. FAR and GAF thank Fapesp and CNPq for financial support give to this research.
- 2.De Domenico, M., Solé-Ribalta, A., Cozzo, E., Kivela, M., Moreno, Y., Porter, M.A., Arenas, A.: Mathematical formulation of multilayer networks. Phys. Rev. X 3(4), 041022 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Boccaletti, S., Latora, V., Moreno, Y., Chavez, M., Hwang, D.U.: Complex networks: structure and dynamics. Phys. Rep. 424(4), 175–308Google Scholar
- 7.Sánchez-García, R.J., Cozzo, E., Moreno, Y.: Dimensionality reduction and spectral properties of multilayer networks. Phys. Rev. E 89(5), 052815Google Scholar
- 8.Cozzo, E., Banos, R.A., Meloni, S., Moreno, Y.: Contact-based social contagion in multiplex networks. Phys. Rev. E 88(5), 050801Google Scholar
- 11.Cardillo, A.: Gomez-Gardenes, J., Zanin, M., Romance, M., Papo, D., del Pozo, F., Boccaletti, S.: Emergence of network features from multiplexity. Sci. Rep. 3 (2013). http://www.nature.com/articles/srep01344
- 13.De Domenico, M., Porter, M.A., Arenas, A.: MuxViz: a tool for multilayer analysis and visualization of networks. J. Complex Netw. (2014). doi:10.1093/comnet/cnu038Google Scholar
- 16.Magnani, M., Micenkova, B., Rossi, L.: Combinatorial analysis of multiple networks. arXiv:1303.4986Google Scholar
- 17.Kapferer, B.: Strategy and Transaction in an African Factory: African Workers and Indian Management in a Zambian Town. Manchester University Press, Manchester (1972)Google Scholar
- 20.Vickers, M., Chan, S.: Representing Classroom Social Structure. Victoria Institute of Secondary Education, Melbourne (1981)Google Scholar