A Robotic Platform for Lower Limb Optical Motion Tracking in Open Space
Conventional human motion tracking techniques based on optical systems reports important limitations for mobile applications (e.g. small spatial covering, poor environment flexibility). The present paper addresses a novel approach for optical motion tracking in open space. The measurement unit is transferred from its stationary basis onto a robotic moving platform. The platform design and limitations are described in the first place. It follows a comparative analysis of the measurement data accuracy for the stationary and mobile system. Post-processing techniques to convert acquired motion from the platform coordinate system into the ground’s absolute one are evaluated for the specific application of gait analysis.
KeywordsGait measurement Lower limb Optical motion tracking Mobile robot Mobile measurement system
The study was supported by NCCR robotics, the National Center of Competence in Research (Switzerland), the ASRIM (Association Suisse Romande et Italienne contre les Myopathies) and the FSRMM (Fondation Suisse de Recherche sur les Maladies Musculaires).
- 1.Muybridge E (1887) Animal locomotion. An electro-photographic investigation of consecutive phases of animal movements (1872–1885). http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/31004968/. Accessed 08 Nov 2014
- 2.Marey E-J (1873) La machine animale, locomotion terrestre et aérienne. G. Baillie, ParisGoogle Scholar
- 6.Menache A (2004) Motion tracking system and methodGoogle Scholar
- 7.DeVita P, Hortobagyi T (2000) Age causes a redistribution of joint torques and powers during gait. J Appl Physiol 88(5):1804–1811Google Scholar
- 9.Thomas M, McPherson M, Thayer R (1995) Offset skating characteristics of world cup level cross-country skiers. In: ISBS-conference proceedings archive, vol 1, no 1Google Scholar
- 16.Dany Lafontaine ML (2010) 3-D kinematics using moving cameras. Part 1: development and validation of the mobile data acquisition system. Hum Kinet J. http://journals.humankinetics.com/jab-back-issues/jabvolume19issue4november/3dkinematicsusingmovingcameraspart1development-andvalidationofthemobiledataacquisitionsystem. Accessed 12 Nov 2014
- 17.Codamotion-Movement Analysis. http://www.codamotion.com/. Accessed 10 Nov 2014
- 18.Atracsys-accuTrack 250. http://atracsys.com/_products/accuTrack_compact.php. Accessed 14 Apr 2014
- 19.Measurement Sciences Products-Measurement Sciences. http://www.ndigital.com/msci/products/#optical-measurement. Accessed 10 Nov 2014
- 20.Ortlieb A, Olivier J, Bouri M, Bleuler H (2014) Evaluation of an active optical system for lower limb motion tracking. 3D AHM, LausanneGoogle Scholar