Collision Avoidance for Mobile Robots with Limited Sensing and Limited Information About the Environment
This paper addresses the problem of safely navigating a mobile robot with limited sensing capability and limited information about stationary obstacles. We consider two sensing limitations: blind spots between sensors and limited sensing range. We identify a set of constraints on the sensors’ readings whose satisfaction at time t guarantees collision-freedom during the time interval \([t, t + \varDelta t]\). Here, \(\varDelta t\) is a parameter whose value is bounded by a function of the maximum velocity of the robot and the range of the sensors. The constraints are obtained under assumptions about minimum internal angle and minimum edge length of polyhedral obstacles. We apply these constraints in the switching logic of the Simplex architecture to obtain a controller that ensures collision-freedom. Experiments we have conducted are consistent with these claims. To the best of our knowledge, our study is the first to provide runtime assurance that an autonomous mobile robot with limited sensing can navigate without collisions with only limited information about obstacles.
This material is based upon work supported in part by AFOSR Grant FA9550-14-1-0261, NSF Grants IIS-1447549, CCF-0926190, CNS-1421893, CNS-1446832, CCF-1414078, ONR Grant N00014-15-1-2208, and Artemis EMC2 Grant 3887039.
- 2.Bak, S., Manamcheri, K., Mitra, S., Caccamo, M.: Sandboxing controllers for cyber-physical systems. In: Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems, ICCPS, pp. 3–12. IEEE Computer Society (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Mitsch, S., Ghorbal, K., Platzer, A.: On provably safe obstacle avoidance for autonomous robotic ground vehicles. In: Newman, P., Fox, D., Hsu, D. (eds.) Robotics: Science and Systems (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.QuickBot MOOC v2 (2014). http://o-botics.org/robots/quickbot/mooc/v2/
- 7.Savkin, A.V., Wang, C.: A reactive algorithm for safe navigation of a wheeled mobile robot among moving obstacles. In: Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE International Conference on Control Applications (CCA), pp. 1567–1571. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Seto, D., Krogh, B., Sha, L., Chutinan, A.: The Simplex architecture for safe online control system upgrades. In: Proceedings of the 1998 American Control Conference, vol. 6, pp. 3504–3508 (1998)Google Scholar