Predicting Preterm Birth in Maternity Care by Means of Data Mining
Worldwide, around 9% of the children are born with less than 37 weeks of labour, causing risk to the premature child, whom it is not prepared to develop a number of basic functions that begin soon after the birth. In order to ensure that those risk pregnancies are being properly monitored by the obstetricians in time to avoid those problems, Data Mining (DM) models were induced in this study to predict preterm births in a real environment using data from 3376 patients (women) admitted in the maternal and perinatal care unit of Centro Hospitalar of Oporto. A sensitive metric to predict preterm deliveries was developed, assisting physicians in the decision-making process regarding the patients’ observation. It was possible to obtain promising results, achieving sensitivity and specificity values of 96% and 98%, respectively.
KeywordsData mining Preterm birth Real data Obstetrics care Maternity care
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berghella, V. (ed.): Preterm birth: prevention and management. John Wiley & Sons (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Abelha, A., Analide, C., Machado, J., Neves, J., Santos, M., Novais, P.: Ambient intelligence and simulation in health care virtual scenarios. In: Camarinha-Matos, L.M., Afsarmanesh, H., Novais, P., Analide, C. (eds.) Establishing the Foundation of Collaborative Networks. IFIP — The International Federation for Information Processing, vol. 243, pp. 461–468. Springer, US (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.McGuire, W., Fowlie, P.W. (eds.): ABC of preterm birth, vol. 95. John Wiley & Sons (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Brandão, A., Pereira, E., Portela, F., Santos, M.F., Abelha, A., Machado, J.: Predicting the risk associated to pregnancy using data mining. In: ICAART 2015 Portugal. SciTePress (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Maimon, O., Rokach, L.: Introduction to knowledge discovery in databases. Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Handbook, pp. 1–17. Springer, US (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Chapman, P., Clinton, J., Kerber, R., Khabaza, T., Reinartz, T., Shearer, C., Wirth, R.: CRISP-DM 1.0 Step-by-step data mining guide (2000)Google Scholar