Network Optimization Using Femtocell Deployment at Macrocell Edge in Cognitive Environment
This research focuses on the problem of cell edge user’s coverage in the context of femtocell networks operating within the locality of macrocell border where pathloss, shadowing, Rayleigh fading have been included into the environment. As macro cell edge users are located far-away from the macro base station (MBS), so that, the underprivileged users (cell edge users) get assisted by the cognitive-femto base station (FBS) to provide consistent quality of service (QoS). Considering various environment factors such as wall structure, number of walls, distance between MBS and users, interference effect (i.e., co-tier and cross-tier), we compute downlink (DL) throughput of femto user (FU) for single input single output (SISO) system over a particular sub-channel, but also based on spectrum allocation and power adaptation, performance of two tier network is analyzed considering network coverage as the performance metric. Finally, the effectiveness of the scheme is verified by extensive matlab simulation.
KeywordsCognitive-Femtocell networks Okumura-Hata propagation model DL throughput Network coverage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Saunders, S.R., Carlaw, S., Giustina, A., Bhat, R.R., Srinivasa Rao, V., Siegberg, R.: Femtocells: Opportunities and Challenges for Business and Technology. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. (2009), ISBN: 978-0-470-74816-9Google Scholar
- 3.Roy, S.D., Kundu, S.: Performance Analysis of Cellular CDMA in presence of Beamforming and Soft Handoff. Progress in Electromagnetics Research, PIER 88, 73–89 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Ranvier, S.: Path loss models: S-72.333 Physical layer methods in wireless communication systems. Helsinki University of Technology, Smarad Centre of Excellence, November 23, 2004Google Scholar
- 5.Dong-Chanm, O., Yong-Hwan, L.: Cognitive Radio Based Resource Allocation in Femto-cell. Journal of Communications and Networks 14(3), June 2012Google Scholar
- 6.Novlan, T.D., Ganti, R.K., Ghosh, A., Andrews, J.G.: Analytical Evaluation of Fractional Frequency Reuse for Heterogeneous Cellular Networks. IEEE Transactions on Communications 60(7), July 2012Google Scholar
- 7.Ahmed, A.U., Islam, M.T., Ismail, M.: A Review on Femtocell and its Diverse Interference Mitigation Techniques in Heterogeneous Network. Wireless Personal Communications 78(1), March 2014Google Scholar
- 8.Namgeol, O., Sang-wook, H., Kim, H.: System capacity and coverage analysis of femtocell networks. In: Proc. of WCNC 2010 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Lopez-Perez, D., Valcarce, A., de la Roche, G., Zhang, J.: OFDMA Femtocells: a Roadmap on Interference Avoidance. IEEE Communications Magazine, June 2009Google Scholar