Fuzzy Differential Evolution Based Gateway Placements in WMN for Cost Optimization
Mesh node placement problem is one of the major design issues in Wireless Mesh Network (WMN). Mesh networking is one of the cost effective solution for broadband internet connectivity. Gateway is one of the active devices in the backbone network to supply internet service to the users. Multiple gateways will be needed for high density networks. The budget and the time to setup these networks are important parameters to be considered. Given the number of gateways and routers with the number of clients in the service area, an optimization problem is formulated such that the installation cost is minimized satisfying the QOS constraints. In this paper a traffic weight algorithm is used for the placement of gateways based on the traffic demand. A cost minimization model is proposed and evaluated using three global optimization search algorithms such as Simulated Annealing (SA), Differential Evolution (DE) and Fuzzy DE (FDE). The simulation result shows that FDE method achieves best minimum compared with other two algorithms.
KeywordsDifferential Evolution Simulated Annealing Fuzzy Differential Evolution Cost minimization WMN Mutation Cross over
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chen, C.C., Chekuri, C: Urban, wireless mesh network planning: the case of directional antennas, Tech Report No. UIUCDCS-R-2007-2874, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Bicket, J., Aguayo, D., Biswas, S., Morris, R.: Architecture and Evaluation of an Unplanned 802.11b Mesh Network. In: Proc. Of MobiCom 2005, August 28–September 2, 2005Google Scholar
- 4.Zhou, P., Manoj, B.S., Rao, R.: On Optimizing Gateway Placement for Throughput in Wireless Mesh Networks EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking 2010, Article ID 368423, 12 (2010). doi: 10.1155/2010/368423
- 5.Benyamina, D., Hafid, A., Gendreau, M.: Wireless Mesh Networks Design - A Survey. IEEE Communications Survey and Tutorials (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Wu, W., Luo, J., Yang, M.: Cost-effective Placement of Mesh Nodes in Wireless Mesh Networks. In: 5th International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Applications (ICPCA). IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Xhafa, F., Sánchez, C., Barolli, A., Takizawa, M.: Solving mesh router nodes placement problem in Wireless Mesh Networks by Tabu Search algorithm. Journal of Computer and System Sciences (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Sanni, M.L., Hashim, A.-H.A., Anwar, F., Naji, A.W., Ahmed, G.S.M.: Gateway placement optimisation problem for mobile multicast design in wireless mesh networks. In: International Conference on Computer and Communication Engineering (ICCCE 2012), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (July 2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Barolli, A., Oda, T., Ikeda, M., Barolli, L., Xhafa, F., & Loia, V.: Node placement for wireless mesh networks: Analysis of WMN-GA system simulation results for different parameters and distributions. Journal of Computer and System Sciences (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Lin, C.-C.: Dynamic router node placement in wireless mesh networks: A PSO approach with constriction coefficient and its convergence analysis. Information Sciences (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Benyamina, D., Hafid, A., Gendreau, M., Maureira, J.C.: On the design of reliable wireless mesh network infrastructure with QoS constraints. Journal of Computer Networks (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Merlin Sheeba, G., Nachiappan, A.: A Differential Evolution Based Throughput Optimization for Gateway Placement in Wireless Mesh Networks. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research 9(21), 5021–5027 (2014)Google Scholar
- 13.Liu, J., Lampinen, J.: A Fuzzy Adaptive Differential Evolution Algorithm. In: Proceedings of IEEE TENCON 2002, pp. 607–611Google Scholar