Development and Deployment of the Open Access Repository and Its Application to the Open Educational Recourses
Worldwide activities on open access have triggered many universities to operate institutional repositories (IRs). The National Institute of Informatics (NII) has led a Japanese IR project since 2014 and, developing homegrown repository software named WEKO as a module for the content management system NetCommons (NC). Concepts of WEKO are “High Functionality”, “Easy” and “As you like”. WEKO has almost all functionalities you need as a repository system, and these can be customized and operated by browser. In addition, not only the repository functions but also variety of add-on can be utilized for designing your own web page. More than 250 universities in Japan are now operating WEKO as their IR. Since the WEKO has multilingual functionality, some of the Malaysian university has decided to employ it. In this paper, we summarize the repository related activity in Japan and point out the possible collaboration between open educational and repository.
KeywordsOpen access Open science Institutional repository Cloud computing Open educational resources
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Promoting the Cyber Science Infrastructure. http://www.nii.ac.jp/en/service/general/
- 2.NII Institutional Repositories Program. https://www.nii.ac.jp/irp/en/
- 3.NII Institutional Repositories DataBase Contents Analysis. http://irdb.nii.ac.jp/analysis/index_e.php
- 4.The Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting. http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html
- 5.Junii2 metadata schema. https://www.nii.ac.jp/irp/en/archive/pdf/junii2_en_20090213.pdf
- 6.CiNii: Scholarly and Academic Information Navigator. http://ci.nii.ac.jp/
- 7.Allinson, J., Francois, S., Lewis, S.: SWORD: Simple Web-service Offering Repository Deposit, ARIADNE, vol. 54 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Open Archives Initiative: OAI-ORE. http://www.openarchives.org/ore/
- 9.Shiozaki, R., Tanabe, M., Mori, I., Yamaji, K.: JAIRO cloud: national infrastructure for institutional repositories in Japan. In: The 7th International Conference on Open Repositories (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.The Directory of Open Access Repositories. http://www.opendoar.org/
- 11.GLOBEreferatory@Japan. http://www.globereferatory.jp/