TECA: Petascale Pattern Recognition for Climate Science
Climate Change is one of the most pressing challenges facing humanity in the 21st century. Climate simulations provide us with a unique opportunity to examine effects of anthropogenic emissions. High-resolution climate simulations produce “Big Data”: contemporary climate archives are \(\approx 5PB\) in size and we expect future archives to measure on the order of Exa-Bytes. In this work, we present the successful application of TECA (Toolkit for Extreme Climate Analysis) framework, for extracting extreme weather patterns such as Tropical Cyclones, Atmospheric Rivers and Extra-Tropical Cyclones from TB-sized simulation datasets. TECA has been run at full-scale on Cray XE6 and IBM BG/Q systems, and has reduced the runtime for pattern detection tasks from years to hours. TECA has been utilized to evaluate the performance of various computational models in reproducing the statistics of extreme weather events, and for characterizing the change in frequency of storm systems in the future.
KeywordsPattern detection Climate science High performance computing Parallel I/O Data mining Petascale
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clivar hurricane working group. http://www.usclivar.org/working-groups/hurricane
- 2.Community earth system model. http://www.cesm.ucar.edu/working-groups/Atmosphere/development
- 3.Coupled model intercomparison project phase 5. http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/
- 4.Earth system grid federation. http://pcmdi9.llnl.gov/esgf-web-fe/
- 5.Intergovernmental panel on climate change, fifth assessment report. http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5
- 6.Noaa ncdc ibtracs dataset. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/ibtracs/
- 7.Remote sensing systems special sensor microwave imager instrument. http://www.remss.com/missions/ssmi
- 8.Wcrp coupled model intercomparison project phase 6. http://www.wcrp-climate.org/wgcm-cmip/wgcm-cmip6
- 9.Byna, S., Prabhat, Wehner, M.F., Wu, K.J.: Detecting atmospheric rivers in large climate datasets. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Petascal Data Analytics: Challenges and Opportunities, PDAC 2011, pp. 7–14. ACM, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Prabhat, Rbel, O., Byna, S., Wu, K., Li, F., Wehner, M., Bethel, W.: Teca: A parallel toolkit for extreme climate analysis. Procedia Computer Science 9, 866–876 (2012); Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Science (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Wang, X.L., Feng, Y.: Inter-comparison of extra-tropical cyclone activity in eight reanalysis datasets. EGU General Assembly Research Abstract (2014)Google Scholar
- 15.Wehner, M.F., Reed, K.A., Li, F., Prabhat, Bacmeister, J., Chen, C.-T., Paciorek, C., Gleckler, P.J., Sperber, K.R., Collins, W.D., Gettelman, A., Jablonowski, C.: The effect of horizontal resolution on simulation quality in the community atmospheric model, cam5. 1. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems (2014)Google Scholar