An \(L_1\)-Method: Application to Digital Symmetric Type-II FIR Filter Design
In this paper, the design of digital symmetric type-II linear-phase FIR low-pass (LP) and band-pass (BP) filter is formulated using the \(L_1\) optimality criterion. In order to obtain better filter performance we compute the optimal filter coefficients using the \(L_1\)-norm based fitness function. The use of \(L_1\) technique in digital filter design applications has the advantages of a flatter passband and high stopband attenuation over other gradient-based filter optimization methods. This technique is applied to optimally design type-II FIR filters. Simulations and statistical analysis have been performed for the 25th order LP and BP filters. It is observed, that the \(L_1\)-based filter results is an improved design in comparison with the filters obtained using the equiripple, least-square and window techniques.
KeywordsFinite impulse response \(L_1\)-error criterion Stopband attenuation Least-square Window method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mitra, S.K.: Digital Signal Processing: A Computer-based Approach. Tata Mc-Graw Hill (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Rawat, T.K.: Digital Signal Processing, 1st edn. Oxford University Press (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Parks, T.W., McClellan, J.H.: Chebyshev approximation for non-recursive digital filters with linear phase. IEEE Trans. Circuits Theory, 189–194 (1972)Google Scholar
- 8.Grossmann, L.D., Eldar, Y.C.: The design of optimal \(L_I\) linear phase digital FIR filters. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Acoustics, Speech, Signal Process. (ICASSP), vol. 3, pp. 884–887 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Aggarwal, A., Rawat, T.K., Kumar, M., Upadhyay, D.K.: Optimal design of FIR high pass filter based on \(L_1\) error approximation using real coded genetic algorithm. Eng. Sci. Tech., an. Int. J. (2015). doi: 10.1016/j.jestch.2015.04.004
- 13.Aggarwal, A., Kumar, M., Rawat, T.K.: \(L_1\) error criterion based optimal FIR filters. In: Annual IEEE India Conference (INDICON) (2014)Google Scholar