Profile of Building Information Modeling – BIM - Tools Maturity in Brazilian Civil Construction Scenery
Building Information Modeling – BIM – tools are gaining, nowadays, great visibility by the possibility of integrated project development. The implementation of BIM tools is gaining space worldwide, including Brazilian scenery. Besides, the degree of tool implementation can vary depending the country, and can show how is the level of projects that are being developed. This paper evaluates the degree of BIM maturity implementation in Brazil´s context, to find the differences of BIM software utilization under different projects. The strategy adopted was a technical review focused on periodical papers as well as a case study developed with 16 BIM expert´s projects in Brazil. The results shown that Brazil presents an advanced BIM implementation considering BIS - Department of Business Innovations and Skills requirements, with great application in modeling, building installations, infrastructure, and low applicability on development of integrated projects.
KeywordsBIM CAD Profile Maturity
The authors would like to thank CAPES (Coordenação de aperfeiçoamento de pessoal de nível superior) and Paulista University (UNIP) for the financial support to develop this work.
- 1.Eardie, R., Browne, R., Odeyinka, H., Mckeown, C., Macniff, S.: BIM implementation throughout the UK construction project lifecycle: an analysis. Autom. Constr. 36, 145–151. doi: 10.1016/j.autcon.2013.09.001 (2013). Accessed Mar 2015
- 2.Porwal, A., Hewage, K.N.: Building information modeling (BIM) partnering frame-work for public construction projects. Autom. Constr. 31, 203–214. doi: 10.1016/j.autcon.2012.12.004 (2013). Accessed Mar 2014
- 3.Gu, N., London, K.: Understanding and facilitating BIM adoption in the AEC industry. Autom. Constr. 19, 988–999. doi: 10.1016/j.autcon.2010.09.002 (2010). Accessed Mar 2014
- 4.Miettinen, R., Paavola, S.: Beyond the BIM utopia: approaches to the development and implementation of building information modeling. Autom. Constr. 43, 84–91. doi: 10.1016/j.autcon.2014.03.009 (2014). Accessed Mar 2014
- 5.Calvert, N.: Why we care about BIM. http://spatialiq.co.nz/index.php/uncategorized/why-we-care-about-bim/. Accessed Mar 2015