Making Decisions About Digital Legacy with Google’s Inactive Account Manager
As information systems become more integrated into everyday use, people generate and store significant data through their lifetimes. Only recently have researchers and companies started to pay attention to digital legacy issues. Google has been one of the first companies to support users in planning the future of their digital assets through Google Inactive Account Manager (IAM). In this work, we present a systematic analysis of IAM and discuss how it structures users’ digital legacy decision space and deals with challenges regarding future impact of these decisions.
KeywordsDigital legacy Anticipation Configuration settings Future impact
Raquel Prates thanks CNPq (grant #248441/2013-2) and the College of IST at Penn State; Clarisse de Souza thanks CNPq (grant #307043/2013-4) and FAPERJ (grant #E-26/102.770/2012) for partially funding their research.
- 1.Brubaker, J., Dombrowski, L., Gilbert, A., Kusumakaulika, N., Hayes, G.: Stewarding a legacy: responsibilities and relationships in the management of post-mortem data. In: Proceedings of CHI 2014, pp. 4157–4166. ACM (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.de Souza, C.: The Semiotic Engineering of Human-Computer Interaction. MIT press, Massachusetts (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Gulotta, R., Odom, W., Faste, H., Forlizzi, J.: Legacy in the age of the internet: reflections on how interactive systems shape how we are remembered. In: Proceedings of DIS 2014, pp. 975–984. ACM (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Massimi, M., Odom, W., Banks, R., Kirk, D.: Matters of life and death: locating the end of life in lifespan-oriented HCI research. In: Proceedings of CHI 2011, pp. 987–996. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Massimi, M., Baecker, R.: Dealing with death in design: developing systems for the bereaved. In: Proceedings of CHI 2011, pp. 1001–1010. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Prates, R.O., Rosson, M.B., de Souza, C.S.: Interaction anticipation: communicating impacts of groupware configuration settings to users. In: Proceedings of IS-EUD 2015, p. 6 (2015)Google Scholar