A Queueing Approximation of MMPP/PH/1
We consider the well-studied MMPP/PH/1 queue and illustrate a method to find an almost equivalent model, the MTCP/PH/1. MTCP stands for Markovian Transition Counting Process. It is a counting process that has similar characteristics to MMPP (Markov Modulated Poisson Process). We prove that for a class of MMPPs there is an equivalent class of MTCPs. We then use this property to suggest an approximation for MMPP/PH/1 in terms of the first two moments. We numerically show that the steady state characteristics of MMPP/PH/1 are well approximated by the associated MTCP/PH/1 queue. Our numerical analysis leaves some open problems on bounds of the approximations. Of independent interest, this paper also contains a lemma on the workload expression of MAP/PH/1 queues which to the best of our knowledge has not appeared elsewhere.
KeywordsMarkov modulated poisson process MAP/PH/1 Queueing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Asmussen, S.: Phase-type representations in random walk and queueing problems. Ann. of Prob., 772–789 (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Asmussen, S.: Applied probability and queues. Stochastic Modelling and Applied Probability, vol. 51. Springer (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Bini, D.A., Meini, B., Steffé, S., Van Houdt, B.: Structured Markov chains solver: software tools. In: Proc. 2006 Workshop on Tools for Solving Structured Markov Chains, Article No. 14. ACM (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Fomundam, S., Herrmann, J.W.: A survey of queuing theory applications in healthcare (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Gun, L.: An Algorithmic Analysis of the MMPP/G/1 Queue (No. ISR-TR-88-40). Maryland Univ. College Park Inst. For Systems Research (1988)Google Scholar
- 8.Horváth, A., Telek, M.: Markovian modeling of real data traffic: heuristic phase type and MAP fitting of heavy tailed and fractal like samples. In: Calzarossa, M.C., Tucci, S. (eds.) Performance 2002. LNCS, vol. 2459, pp. 405–434. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Latouche G., Ramaswami, V.: Introduction to matrix analytic methods in stochastic modeling, vol. 5. SIAM (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Rudemo, M.: Point processes generated by transitions of Markov chains. Adv. Appl. Prob., 262–286 (1973)Google Scholar
- 14.Riska, A., Squillante, M., Yu, S.Z., Liu, Z., Zhang, L.: Matrix-analytic analysis of a MAP/PH/1 queue fitted to web server data. Matrix-Analytic Methods; Theory and Applications, 333–356 (2002)Google Scholar