Analysis of an M/M/1 Retrial Queue with Speed Scaling
Recently, queues with speed scaling have received considerable attention due to their applicability to data centers, enabling a better balance between performance and energy consumption. This paper proposes a new model where blocked customers must leave the service area and retry after a random time, with retrial rate either varying proportionally to the number of retrying customers (linear retrial rate) or non-varying (constant retrial rate). For both, we study the case without and with setup time. In all four cases, we obtain an exact solution for the stationary queue length distribution. This document presents the resulting expressions as well as their derivation.
KeywordsData center Energy efficiency Speed scaling Setup time Retrial queue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Conway, R.W., Maxwell, W.L.: A Queueing Model with State Dependent Service Rate. Journal of Industrial Engineering 12, 132–136 (1961)Google Scholar
- 6.Yao, F., Demers, A., Shenker, S.: A scheduling model for reduced CPU energy. In: Proceedings 36th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 374–382 (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Wierman, A., Andrew, L., Tang, A.: Power-aware speed scaling in processor sharing systems. In: Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2009, pp. 2007–2015 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Phung-Duc, T.: Server farms with batch arrival and staggered setup. In: Proceedings of the Fifth Symposium on Information and Communication Technology, pp. 240–247. ACM (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Phung-Duc, T.: Exact solution for M/M/\(c\)/Setup queue (2014). Preprint: http://arxiv.org/abs/1406.3084
- 15.Lu, X., Aalto, S., Lassila, P.: Performance-energy trade-off in data centers: impact of switching delay. In: Proceedings of 22nd IEEE ITC Specialist Seminar on Energy Efficient and Green Networking (SSEEGN), pp. 50–55 (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Gandhi, A., Doroudi, S., Harchol-Balter, M., Scheller-Wolf, A.: Exact analysis of the M/M/k/setup class of markov chains via recursive renewal reward. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMETRICS, pp. 153–166 (2013)Google Scholar