Learning to Teach in the Park: The York University Regent Park Initiative
The York University pre-service program at Regent Park is a community-situated teacher education program. The Program is based in an urban area of Toronto, Ontario, Canada—an area of new immigrant families, families on social welfare, poverty, and gangs. Our data are drawn from the teaching reflections of two course instructors in the Program, as well as Teacher Candidate reflections of their course experiences. We describe the program, one of the courses made possible by such a program, and ask whether a community focused program such as YURP can exist outside of the particular synergy of York University and the Regent Park community.
KeywordsTeacher Education Social Justice Teacher Education Program Teacher Candidate Community Placement
- Artscape. (2012). A brief history of Regent Park. Daniels Spectrum: A Cultural Hub in Regent Park. http://regentparkarts.ca/portfolios/a-brief-history-of-regent-park/s. Accessed 19 Sept 2014.
- Facebook. (2014). https://www.facebook.com/. Accessed 19 Sept 2014.
- Griffith, A. (1995). Connecting mothering and schooling: The discursive organisation of children’s development. In A. Manicom & M. Campbell (Eds.), Studies in the social organization of knowledge. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.Google Scholar
- Griffith, A. (2011–2012). Course outline: CMYR 2500, human development and socialization. Toronto: York University, Faculty of Education, Consecutive Program, Regent Park site.Google Scholar
- Ibrahim, S. (2010, 6 April; [15 May 2009]). Regent Park: Community resource and needs assessment. The University of Toronto, Research and innovation. http://www.research.utoronto.ca/behind_the_headlines/the-new-regent-park-will-it-work/. Accessed 19 Sept 2014.
- Pink, S. (2008). Mobilizing visual ethnography: Making routes, making place, and making images. Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 9(3), Art. 36. http://www.qualitative-research.net/FQS/. Accessed 20 Aug 2010.
- Simon, R. (1992). Teaching against the grain: Texts for a pedagogy of possibility. New York: Bergin and Garvey.Google Scholar
- Toronto Neighbourhood Guide. (1997–2014). Downtown: Regent Park. Toronto: Maple Tree Publishing. http://www.torontoneighbourhoods.net/neighbourhoods/downtown/regent-park. Accessed 19 Sept 2014.
- York University. (2014a). Faculty of education. Academic programs, bachelor of education. http://edu.yorku.ca/academic-programs/bachelor-of-education/. Accessed 19 Sept 2014.
- York University. (2014b). Faculty of education. Academic programs, bachelor of education, practicum, community placements. http://edu.yorku.ca/academic-programs/bachelor-of-education/practicum/community-placements/. Accessed 19 Sept 2014.
- Zhe, R., & Kuan, X. (2011, 30 February). Low-income dynamics and determinants under different thresholds: New findings for Canada in 2000 and beyond. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 75F0002M—No. 003. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75f0002m/75f0002m2011003-eng.htm. Accessed 10 July 2014.