A Business Process Based Method for Capability Modelling
Enterprises are confronted with rapidly changing situations in regulations, globalization, time-to-market pressures and advances in the technology. Management and design of the capabilities is emerging into an important field to tackle these challenges. On the contrary, our findings from a systematic literature analysis reveal the lack of contributions in methodological support for developing capabilities. In this respect we introduce a business process based method for capability design, which is a part of a lately proposed capability driven development (CDD) approach. The main contributions of this paper are (i) a component wise structured capability modelling method based on business processes of an enterprise and (ii) a demonstration of the method application in a use case from the utilities industry.
KeywordsCapability modelling Business context Method engineering BPM Capability design Capability driven development
This work has been performed as part of the EU-FP7 funded project no: 611351 CaaS – Capability as a Service in Digital Enterprises.
- 1.Kitchenham, B.: Procedures for performing systematic reviews. Keele University Technical report TR/SE-0401. July 2004. ISSN:1353-7776Google Scholar
- 2.Schrader, U., Hennig-Thurau, T.: VHB-JOURQUAL2: method, results, and implications of the German academic association for business research’s journal ranking. BuR Bus. Res. 2(2), 180–204 (2009). URN: urn:nbn:de:0009-20-21663Google Scholar
- 3.Peffers, K., Ya, T.: Identifying and evaluating the universe of outlets for information systems research: ranking the journals. J. Inf. Technol. Theory Appl. (JITTA) 5(1), Article 6, 63–84 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.WI-Association: WI-Orientierungslisten. WIRTSCHAFTSINFORMATIK 50, 155–163 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Sandkuhl, K., Koç, H.: Component-based method development: an experience report. In: Frank, U., Loucopoulos, P., Pastor, Ó., Petrounias, I. (eds.) PoEM 2014. LNBIP, vol. 197, pp. 164–178. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Bērziša, S., Bravos, G., Gonzalez Cardona, T., Czubayko, U., España, S., Grabis, J., Henkel, M., Jokste, L., Kampars, J., Koç, H., Kuhr, J.-C., Llorca, C., Loucopoulos, P., Juanes Pascual, R., Pastor, O., Sandkuhl, K., Simic, H., Stirna, J., Zdravkovic, J.: Capability driven development: an approach to designing digital enterprises. Bus. Inf. Syst. Eng. (BISE) 15(1), 15–25 (2015). doi: 10.1007/s12599-014-0362-0 Google Scholar
- 12.Zdravkovic, J., Stirna, J., Kuhr, J.-C., Koç, H.: Requirements engineering for capability driven development. In: Frank, U., Loucopoulos, P., Pastor, Ó., Petrounias, I. (eds.) PoEM 2014. LNBIP, vol. 197, pp. 193–207. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar