Ontology Reasoning Using Rules in an eHealth Context
- 893 Downloads
Traditionally, nurse call systems in hospitals are rather simple: patients have a button next to their bed to call a nurse. Which specific nurse is called cannot be controlled, as there is no extra information available. This is different for solutions based on semantic knowledge: if the state of care givers (busy or free), their current position, and for example their skills are known, a system can always choose the best suitable nurse for a call. In this paper we describe such a semantic nurse call system implemented using the EYE reasoner and Notation3 rules. The system is able to perform OWL-RL reasoning. Additionally, we use rules to implement complex decision trees. We compare our solution to an implementation using OWL-DL, the Pellet reasoner, and SPARQL queries. We show that our purely rule-based approach gives promising results. Further improvements will lead to a mature product which will significantly change the organization of modern hospitals.
KeywordsNotation3 eHealth OWL 2 RL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Calvanese, D., Carroll, J., Di Giacomo, G., Hendler, J., Herman, I., Parsia, B., Patel-Schneider, P.F., Ruttenberg, A., Sattler, U., Schneider, M.: owl 2 Web Ontology Language Profiles. w \(_3\) c Recommendation, December 2012. www.w3.org/TR/owl2-profiles/
- 3.De Roo, J.: Euler yet another proof engine (1999–2015). http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/
- 4.De Roo, J.: EYE and OWL 2 (1999–2015). http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/2003/03swap/eye-owl2.html
- 5.Ongenae, F., Bleumers, L., Sulmon, N., Verstraete, M., Van Gils, M., Jacobs, A., De Zutter, S., Verhoeve, P., Ackaert, A., De Turck, F.: Participatory design of a continuous care ontology (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Parsia, B., Sirin, E.: Pellet: An OWL DL reasoner. In: Proceedings of the Third International Semantic Web Conference (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Verborgh, R., De Roo, J.: Drawing conclusions from linked data on the web. IEEE Software 32(5), May 2015. http://online.qmags.com/ISW0515?cid=3244717&eid=19361&pg=25