The Maximum Similarity Partitioning Problem and its Application in the Transcriptome Reconstruction and Quantification Problem
Reconstruct and quantify the RNA molecules in a cell at a given moment is an important problem in molecular biology that allows one to know which genes are being expressed and at which intensity level. Such problem is known as Transcriptome Reconstruction and Quantification Problem (TRQP). Although several approaches were already designed that solve the TRQP, none of them model it as a combinatorial optimization problem. In order to narrow this gap, we present here a new combinatorial optimization problem called Maximum Similarity Partitioning Problem (MSPP) that models the TRQP. In addition, we prove that the MSPP is NP-complete in the strong sense and present a greedy heuristic for it.
KeywordsPartition Similarity Transcriptome Reconstruction and quantification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Trapnell, C., Williams, B.A., Pertea, G., Mortazavi, A., Kwan, G., van Baren, M.J., Salzberg, S.L., Wold, B.J., Pachter, L.: Transcript assembly and quantification by RNA-Seq reveals unannotated transcripts and isoform switching during cell differentiation. Nature biotechnology 28(5), 511–515 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Guttman, M., Garber, M., Levin, J.Z., Donaghey, J., Robinson, J., Adiconis, X., Fan, L., Koziol, M.J., Gnirke, A., Nusbaum, C., et al.: Ab initio reconstruction of cell type-specific transcriptomes in mouse reveals the conserved multi-exonic structure of lincRNAs. Nature biotechnology 28(5), 503–510 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.de Lima, L. I. S.: O problema do alinhamento de segmentos: Master’s thesis, Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso do Sul, October (2013) (in portuguese)Google Scholar
- 11.Pevzner, P.: Computational molecular biology: an algorithmic approach. MIT press (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Garey, M., Johnson, D.: Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. Series of books in the mathematical sciences. W.H. Freeman (1979)Google Scholar