Part of the Quantitative Methods in the Humanities and Social Sciences book series (QMHSS)
In this chapter, we will look at how to work with raster and vector spatial data in R. Particular attention is placed on the process of merging various data types to create enriched datasets for further analysis.
KeywordsGeographic Information System Spatial Data Data Frame Geospatial Data Universal Transverse Mercator
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Hawthorn L Beyer. Hawth’s analysis tools for arcgis, 2004.Google Scholar
- Roger Bivand and Nicholas Lewin-Koh. maptools: Tools for reading and handling spatial objects, 2014. URL http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=maptools. R package version 0.8-30.
- Roger Bivand, Tim Keitt, and Barry Rowlingson. rgdal: Bindings for the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library, 2014. URL http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=rgdal. R package version 0.9-1.
- Roger S Bivand, Edzer J Pebesma, Virgilio Gómez-Rubio, and Edzer Jan Pebesma. Applied spatial data analysis with R, volume 747248717. Springer, 2008.Google Scholar
- Gerald Evenden. Proj. 4–cartographic projections library. Source code and documentation available from trac. osgeo. org/proj, 1990.Google Scholar
- Carl Franklin and Paula Hane. An introduction to geographic information systems: Linking maps to databases [and] maps for the rest of us: Affordable and fun. Database, 15(2):12–15, 1992.Google Scholar
- Carlo Gaetan, Xavier Guyon, and Kevin Bleakley. Spatial statistics and modeling, volume 271. Springer, 2010.Google Scholar
- E Grafarend. The optimal universal transverse mercator projection. In Geodetic Theory Today, pages 51–51. Springer, 1995.Google Scholar
- John W Hager, James F Behensky, and Brad W Drew. The universal grids: Universal transverse mercator (utm) and universal polar stereographic (ups). edition 1. Technical report, DTIC Document, 1989.Google Scholar
- Mordechai Haklay and Patrick Weber. Openstreetmap: User-generated street maps. Pervasive Computing, IEEE, 7(4):12–18, 2008.Google Scholar
- Yun Feng Nie, Hu Xu, and Hai Ling Liu. The design and implementation of tile map service. Advanced Materials Research, 159:714–719, 2011.Google Scholar
- DT QGis. Quantum gis geographic information system. Open Source Geospatial Foundation Project, 2011.Google Scholar
- ESRI Software. ESRI Shapefile Technical Description, 1998. URL https://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/shapefile.pdf.
- Simon Urbanek. snippets: Code snippets, mostly visualization-related. URL http://www.rforge.net/snippets/. R package version 0.1-0.
© Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2015