Shaping of the Architectural Detail in View of Energy Saving
Global warming observed has provoked the tendencies to reduce the emission of CO2. In January 2014 Poland also introduced much stricter building-law regulations referring to how buildings should be designed in respect of heat insulation and a permissible value of EP coefficient (defining a yearly demand for primary energy). The changes introduced result from the general strategy included in the European EPBD (Energy Performance of Buildings Directive) which imposes (up to 2020) the reduction of greenhouse gases at least by 20 %. In December 2014 the European Union took up another obligation- to reduce greenhouse gases by 30 % by the end of 2030.
The consumption of energy in the building industry is vastly influenced by the thermal insulation of buildings, as well as by such things as: thermal Bridges, air tightness of a building.
When an architectural detail is not designed carefully enough or some other errors occur in the process of construction, one can observe a large energy loss which escapes through thermal bridges or other leaky places in the building. Energy loss may then reach even dozen or more per cent.
The European Union has changed legal regulations for the building industry, concerning mostly energy effectiveness. Those refer not only to the insulation capacity (passive protection from the heat loss) but also impose the obligation for new buildings to use renewable energy, which is understood as an active share of alternative energy. While doing their designer’s job, architects must now dedicate their time to the calculations how much heat is lost and to computer simulations of the energy balance, including the energy coming from solar panels, heat pumps, wind energy, etc.
The changes and limits to energy consumption introduced gradually influence the character of architect’s profession. The buildings designed as extensively segmented or glazed will become less economical than simple but carefully insulated blocks. Also, the role of an architect is about to be changed giving way to a new profession which could be dubbed as: a specialist in energy saving and the building physics.
KeywordsArchitecture Saving energy Detail
- 1.Directive of the European Parliament and Council 2002/91/UE of 16 December 2002 on the energy characteristics of buildings changed by the Directive of the European Parliament and Council 2010/31/UE of 19 May 2010Google Scholar
- 2.Firląg, Sz.: Szczelnosc powietrzna budynkow pasywnych i energooszczednych - wyniki badan [Air tightness of passive and energy-saving buildings - study results]. In: Czasopismo Techniczne [Technical Magazine], 2B/2012 file 3, pp. 105–113. Krakow University of Technology, Krakow (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Osowski, S., Zarembowski, J.: WuTe architekcie Part 2. In: Zawod: architekt [Occupation: Architect], Ogolnopolskie Czasopismo Izby Architektow RP [Nationwide Magazine of Architect’s Chamber], no. 38/, pp. 97–102. Izba Architektow RP, Warsaw (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.PN-EN 13829:2001: Wlasciwosci cieplne budynkow. Metoda pomiaru cisnieniowego z uzyciem wentylatora.[Polish standard: Heat qualities of buildings. Method for pressure measurement by means of a ventilator]Google Scholar
- 5.PN-EN ISO 10211–1:1998: Mostki cieplne w budynkach. Strumień cieplny i temperatura powierzchni. Ogolne metody obliczania. [Polish standard: Thermal bridges in buildings. Heat flow and surface temperature. Guidelines of measurement]Google Scholar
- 6.Rozporzadzenie Ministra Infrastruktury [Ordinance by the Minister of Infrastructure] of 12 April 2002 w sprawie warunkow technicznych, jakim powinny odpowiadac budynki i ich usytuowanie [on technical conditions applied to buildings and their location] (Dz. U. no 75, item 690) – legal status after the change introduced by Minister of, Building Industry and Sea Economy, valid from 1 January 2014 (Dz. U. no 0, item 926)Google Scholar
- 7.Blower - door – test. http://www.blowerdoortest.pl
- 8.Czy wiesz ile tracisz przez mostki termiczne [Do you know how much you lose through thermal bridges]. http://www.cte.fea.pl
- 9.Amerykanski system wielokryterialnej certyfikacji budynkow LEED [American system of multi-criterion building certification LEED]. http://www.ecosquad.pl
- 10.Angielski system wielokryterialnej certyfikacji budynkow BREEAM [English system of multi-criterion building certification]. http://www.ecosquad.pl
- 11.Systemy fasadowe Ruukki [Facade systems Ruukki]. http://www.ruukki.pl
- 12.Mostki termiczne [Thermal bridges]. http://www.zarzadcy.com.pl