Developing the COOLTURA Resources-Driven Governance Model for Building Scalable Cultural Services in the COOLTURA Platform
Cultural institutions and sites currently debate on how to respond to new trends, such as globalisation, exponential growth of digital cultural content and Apps, and reach technological knowledgeable users. In addition, institutions need to look for new ways of engagement, as the engagement of citizens with their cultural heritage environment remains low. This paper presents the preliminary results of a qualitative research performed to evaluate new opportunities for the COOLTURA Platform (output of TAG CLOUD project); as well as the proposal of developing the COOLTURA resource-driven governance model to support the COOLTURA Platform up-take.
KeywordsEngagement Cultural heritage Governance in culture Cultural platform Cultural apps
This work has been co-funded by the European Commission through the FP7 project TAG CLOUD (Technologies lead to Adaptability & lifelong enGagement with culture throughout the CLOUD); http://www.tagcloudproject.eu/, Grant Agreement No. 600924.
- 1.European Union, & Comité des Sages. The New Renaissance, Report of the ‘Comité des Sages’ Reflection group on bringing Europe’s Cultural Heritage online, Brussels, January 2011. http://www.eurosfaire.prd.fr/7pc/doc/1302102400_kk7911109enc_002.pdf
- 2.Cultural heritage Digitization, online accessibility and digital preservation. Report on the Implementation of Commission Recommendation 2011/711/EU 2011–2013. Progress report 2011–2013 Working document, September 2014Google Scholar
- 3.Tourism Apps Market Study. Segittur (2013). http://www.segittur.es/opencms/export/sites/segitur/.content/galerias/descargas/documentos/Segittur_APPS-Turismo.pdf
- 4.Commission Recommendations of 27 October 2011 on the digitization and online accessibility of cultural material and digital preservation. Official Journal of the European Union 29-10-2011 (2011/711/EU)Google Scholar
- 5.Beltrán, M.E., Ursa, Y., de los Rios, S., Cabrera-Umpiérrez, M.F., Arredondo, M.T., Páramo, M., Prados, B., Pérez, L.M.: Engaging people with cultural heritage: users’ perspective. In: Stephanidis, C., Antona, M. (eds.) UAHCI 2014, Part II. LNCS, vol. 8514, pp. 639–649. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.TAG CLOUD project, CN. 600924, 7th Framework Programme, ICT for access to cultural resources; in-depth interviews for exploitation, February 2013Google Scholar
- 7.TAG CLOUD project, CN. 600924, 7th Framework Programme, ICT for access to cultural resources, February 2013. http://www.tagcloudproject.eu/
- 8.Abras, C., Maloney-Krichmar, D., Preece, J.: User-centered design. In: Bainbridge, W. (ed.) Encyclopedia of Human-Computer Interaction. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.TAG CLOUD project, CN. 600924, 7th Framework Programme, ICT for access to cultural resources; in-depth interviews for COOLTURA Platform exploitation, February 2013Google Scholar
- 10.Boost Capital. Say Hello To Generation Z – Digital Natives, Entrepreneurs, The Staff & Customers Of Tomorrow, 17 October 2014. http://www.boostcapital.co.uk/blog/say-hello-generation-z-digital-natives-entrepreneurs-staff-customers-tomorrow/