The Accessibility of Web-Based Media Services – An Evaluation
Online digital media is becoming the most important arena for general information sharing and public debate. Making this arena accessible to all is essential for equal participation in today’s society. However, the accessibility of web-based media services has not been given much attention despite their importance for the democracy of our society. The overall objective for this research is to gain knowledge on universal design of websites containing complex multimedia, in order to ensure equal access for diverse groups operating different devices in various situations. To achieve this objective, we have conducted heuristic evaluations of the news web pages at the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK), the authoring tools for journalists, and focus group interviews on the accessibility of NRK.no. The preliminary results show that although participants expressed general positive attitude towards the design of NRK.no, many accessibility challenges remain to be addressed.
KeywordsUniversal design Web accessibility Media service Heuristic evaluation Focus group WCAG ATAG
This project is funded by The Delta Centre on behalf of the Norwegian Ministry of Children, Equality and Social Inclusion. We would like to thank Helge Kaasin and NRK for their collaboration and support. We would also like to thank all the participants for their valuable feedback.
- 1.Medienorge. http://medienorge.uib.no/statistikk/medium/avis/360. Accessed 10 Feb 2015
- 2.European Convention on Human Rights. Article 10Google Scholar
- 3.LOV-2013-06-21-61, Barne-, Likestillings- og Inkluderingsdepartementet (in Norwegian)Google Scholar
- 4.FOR-2013-06-21-732, Kommunal- og moderniseringsdepartementet (in Norwegian)Google Scholar
- 5.NEXiA: Bredbåndsdekning 2013, p. 12. Fornyings-, administrasjons- og kirkedepartementet (2013). https://www.regjeringen.no/globalassets/upload/fad/vedlegg/ikt-politikk/bredbandsdekning_2013.pdf (in Norwegian)
- 6.Utdanningsdirektoratet: Rammeverk for grunnleggende ferdigheter, P3. Kunnskapsdepartementet (2012). http://www.udir.no/Upload/larerplaner/lareplangrupper/RAMMEVERK_grf_2012.pdf (in Norwegian)
- 7.Fordal, J.A.: A Gigantic Small Broadcaster, http://www.nrk.no/about/a-gigantic-small-broadcaster-1.3698462. Accessed 5 Jan 2015
- 9.OECD Skills Survey: Country specific-material. http://www.oecd.org/site/piaac/country-specific-material.htm. Accessed 19 Feb 2015