H-Treasure Hunt: A Location and Object-Based Serious Game for Cultural Heritage Learning at a Historic Site
Serious game is commonly used to support cultural heritage such as historical teaching and learning, and enhancing historic site visits. Nowadays most of in situ serious games have been supported by GPS but it is not suitable for a small-scale historic site. In this paper, we propose a location and object-based serious game application H-Treasure Hunt. H-Treasure hunt integrates location-based service with object-based sensors to find more exact location of artifacts at a historic site. In the game, the players wear Head Mounted Display (HMD) and explore a historic site interacting with artifacts to complete missions. In this way, H-Treasure Hunt will act as a tour guide helping users learn about the historic site and artifacts. The use of this application is to support cultural heritage teaching and learning as well as enhancing historical site visits.
KeywordsCollaboration technology and informal learning Mobile and/or ubiquitous learning Serious games and 3D virtual worlds for learning User-generated content
This research was supported by Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism (MCST) and Korea Creative Content Agency (KOCCA) in the Culture Technology (CT) Research & Development Program 2014. This paper was supported by the BK21 Plus Postgraduate Organization for Content Science (or BK21 Plus Program) in Korea.
- 1.Kim, Y., Kim, H.: A study of tour game using lbs based on smart phone. J. Digital Policy Manage. 10(5), 239–244 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Wetzel, R., Blum, L., Oppermann, L.: Tidy city–a location-based game supported by in-situ and web-based authoring tools to enable user-created content .In: Proceedings of the International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games, pp. 238–241 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.O’Hara, K.: Understanding Geocaching Practices and Motivations. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 1177–1186 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Benkic, K., Malajner, M., Planinsic, P., Cucej, Z.: Using RSSI value for distance estimation in wireless sensor networks based on ZigBee. In: 15th International Conference on Systems Signals and Image Processing (IWSSIP 2008), pp. 303–306 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.NHN Corp. NAVER Open API. http://openapi.naver.com
- 6.Luke, W., Thomson, L.: PHP and MySQL Web Development. Sams Publishing, Carmel (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.In-gookChun, Android Programming, Saeng Reung Publishing (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Android Developers. Bluetooth Chat sample code. http://develop-er.android.com/resources/samples/BluetoothChat/index.html
- 9.Google. Glass Development Kit. https://developers.google.com/glass/gdk
- 10.Lauri, A., et al.: Bluetooth and WAP push based location-aware mobile advertising system. In: Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on Mobile systems, applications, and services. ACM (2004)Google Scholar