Where to Next? A Comparison of Recommendation Strategies for Navigating a Learning Object Repository
- 2.4k Downloads
This paper explores the initial investigation of six recommendation algorithms for deployment in SAS® Curriculum Pathways®, an online repository which houses over 1250 educational resources. The proposed approaches stem from three basic strategies: recommendations based on resource metadata, user behavior, and alignment to academic standards. An evaluation from subject experts suggests that usage-based recommendations are best aligned with teacher needs, though there are interesting domain interactions that suggest the need for continued investigation.
KeywordsRecommender systems Learning object repository Technology enhanced learning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Leachman, M., Mai, C.: Most States Funding Schools Less Than Before the Recession. Center on Budget Policies and Priorities, May 20, 2014Google Scholar
- 2.Research on the Use of Khan Academy in Schools (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.DeVries, I.: Evaluating Open Educational Resources: Lessons Learned. Procedia - Soc Behav Sci. (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Manouselis, N., Drachsler, H., Verbert, K., Duval, E.: Recommender Systems for Learning. Springer Science & Business Media (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Achieve Inc.: State Support for Open Educational Resources: Key Findings from Achieve’s OER Institute. Washington D.C. (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Koren, Y.: The BellKor Solution to the Netflix Grand Prize (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Manouselis, N., Sampson, D.: Recommendation of quality approaches for the European quality observatory. In: 4th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies/EQO-Workshop Quality in European E-Learning (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Vialardi, C., Bravo, J., Shafti, L., Ortigosa, A.: Recommendation in Higher Education Using Data Mining Techniques (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Duffin, J., Muramatsu, B., Logan, N.: OER Recommender: Linking NSDL Pathways and OpenCourseWare Repositories (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Verbert, K., Drachsler, H., Manouselis, N., Wolpers, M., Vuorikari, R., Duval, E.: Dataset-driven research for improving recommender systems for learning. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge - LAK 2011, pp. 44–53. ACM Press, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Underwood, J.: Metis: a contentmap-based recommender system for digital learning activities. In: Educational Recommender Systems and Technologies, pp. 24–42 (2012)Google Scholar