In this chapter we explore the meaning of sustainability and how it can help and hinder our response to dealing with global warming.
KeywordsClimate Change Global Warming Natural Capital Carbon Price Life Support System
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
References and Further Reading
- Adams, W. M. (2006). The future of sustainability: Re-thinking environment and development in the twenty-first century. Report of the IUCN Renowned Thinkers Meeting, January 29–31, 2006. Gland, Switzerland: The World Conservation Union (IUCN).Google Scholar
- Aligica, P. D. (2009) Julian Simon and the ‘limits to growth’ neo-Malthusianism. The Electronic Journal of Sustainable Development, 1(3), 73–84. Retrieved from http://mercatus.org/uploadedFiles/Mercatus/Publications/JULIAN_AND_THE_LIMITS_TO_GROWTH_NEO-MALTHUSIANISM.pdf
- Bell, S., & Morse, S. (2008). Sustainability indicators: Measuring the immeasurable? (2nd ed.). London, England: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- Campbell, T., & Mollica, D. (Eds.). (2009). Sustainability. Surrey, England: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Ehrenfeld, J. R. (2008). Sustainability by design: A subversive strategy for transforming our consumer culture. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Gladwin, T. N., Kennelly, J. J., & Krause, T. (1993). Shifting paradigms for sustainable development: Implications for management theory and research. The Academy of Management Review, 20, 874–907.Google Scholar
- Lovelock, J. (2000). Gaia: A new look at life on earth. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Lovelock, J. (2007). The revenge of Gaia: Earth’s climate crisis and the fate of humanity. New York, NY: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Lovelock, J. (2010). The vanishing face of Gaia: A final warning. New York, NY: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- The Earth Charter Initiative. (2000). The Earth Charter, San Jose, Coats Rica. Retrieved from http://www.earthcharterinaction.org/content/pages/Read-the-Charter.html
- United Nations General Assembly. (2005). 2005 World Summit Outcome, Resolution A/60/1, adopted by the General Assembly on September 15, 2005.
- World Commission on Environment and Development. (1987). Our common future: The report of the World Commission on Environment and Development. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from http://www.un-documents.net/wced-ocf.htm
© Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2015