Using Application-Aware Flow Monitoring for SIP Fraud Detection
Flow monitoring helps to discover many network security threats targeted to various applications or network protocols. In this paper, we show usage of the flow data for analysis of a Voice over IP (VoIP) traffic and a threat detection. A traditionally used flow record is insufficient for this purpose and therefore it was extended by application-layer information. In particular, we focus on the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the type of a toll-fraud in which an attacker tries to exploit poor configuration of a private branch exchange (PBX). The attacker’s motivation is to make unauthorized calls to PSTN numbers that are usually charged at high rates and owned by the attacker. As a result, a successful attack can cause a significant financial loss to the owner of PBX. We propose a method for stream-wise and near real-time analysis of the SIP traffic and detection of the described threat. The method was implemented as a module of the Nemea system and deployed on a backbone network. It was evaluated using simulated as well as real attacks.
KeywordsSession Initiation Protocol Session Initiation Protocol Server Monitoring Probe Session Initiation Protocol Message Real Attack
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bartos, V., Zadnik, M., Cejka, T.: Nemea: Framework for stream-wise analysis of network traffic. Tech. rep., CESNET (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.CESNET: Nemea, https://www.liberouter.org/nemea/
- 3.Claise, B., et al.: Specification of the IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) Protocol for the Exchange of Flow Information. RFC 7011 (September 2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Communications Fraud Control Association: 2013 CFCA Global Fraud Loss Survey. Press release (October 2013), http://www.cfca.org/pdf/survey/CFCA2013GlobalFraudLossSurvey-pressrelease.pdf
- 6.Gauci, S.: SIPVicious. Tools for auditing sip based voip systems (2012), https://code.google.com/p/sipvicious/
- 8.Hoffstadt, D., Marold, A., Rathgeb, E.: Analysis of SIP-Based Threats Using a VoIP Honeynet System. In: Proccedings of the 11th International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom), pp. 541–548 (June 2012)Google Scholar
- 10.INVEA-TECH a.s.: FlowMon Probe – High-performance NetFlow Probe up to 10 Gbps, http://www.invea-tech.com/products-and-services/flowmon/flowmon-probes
- 11.KaplanSoft: SipCLI, http://www.kaplansoft.com/sipcli/
- 13.Ohlmeier, N.: SIP Swiss Army Knife (Sipsak), http://sourceforge.net/projects/sipsak.berlios/
- 15.VoP Security: SiVuS (SiP Vulnerability Scanner) – User Guide v1.07, http://www.voip-security.net/pdfs/SiVuS-User-Doc1.7.pdf