USB Data Capture and Analysis in Windows Using USBPcap and Wireshark
The USB device designers, as well as the advanced users often need a software utility to capture and analyse USB data exchanged between a device and an application in host. The software USB analysers are designed for this purpose.
Software USB analyser solution designed for Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 is presented in the paper. The solution consists of USBPcap responsible for USB data capture and Wireshark responsible for data analysis. The solution was used to record and analyse messages exchanged between DigiTech RP250 guitar multi-effect processor and host-side software package X-Edit supplied by vendor (DigiTech). For this purpose Wireshark was extended with two dissectors: USB Audio and X MIDI SysEx.
KeywordsUSB USB analyzer USBPcap Wireshark USB Audio X MIDI SysEx DigiTech RP250
- 1.Deka Prikarna, A.: Simple URB (USB Request Block) Monitor. http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/335364/Simplde-URB-USB-Request-Block-Monitor (2009). Accessed 6 Apr 2013
- 2.Oney, W.: Programming the Microsoft Windows Driver Model. Microsoft Press, Redmond (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.USB Implementers Forum, Universal Serial Bus Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Link-Layer Header Types. http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html. Accessed 7 Apr 2013
- 5.USB Reference, USB Constants and Enumerations – USBD\_STATUS. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff539136(v=vs.85).aspx. Accessed 7 Apr 2013
- 6.Mon, T.: RFC: USBPcap. http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201303/msg00189.html. Accessed 21 May 2013