Efficiently Listing Bounded Length st-Paths
The problem of listing the K shortest simple (loopless) st-paths in a graph has been studied since the early 1960s. For a non-negatively weighted graph with n vertices and m edges, the most efficient solution is an \(O(K(mn + n^2 \log n))\) algorithm for directed graphs by Yen and Lawler [Management Science, 1971 and 1972], and an \(O(K(m+n \log n))\) algorithm for the undirected version by Katoh et al. [Networks, 1982], both using \(O(Kn + m)\) space. In this work, we consider a different parameterization for this problem: instead of bounding the number of st-paths output, we bound their length. For the bounded length parameterization, we propose new non-trivial algorithms matching the time complexity of the classic algorithms but using only \(O(m+n)\) space. Moreover, we provide a unified framework such that the solutions to both parameterizations – the classic K-shortest and the new length-bounded paths – can be seen as two different traversals of a same tree, a Dijkstra-like and a DFS-like traversal, respectively.
- 2.Bernstein, A.: A nearly optimal algorithm for approximating replacement paths and k shortest simple paths in general graphs. In: Proceedings of the 20th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), pp. 742–755 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Birmelé, E., Ferreira, R., Grossi, R., Marino, A., Pisanti, N., Rizzi, R., Sacomoto, G.: Optimal listing of cycles and st-paths in undirected graphs. In: Proceedings of the 24th Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), pp. 1884–1896 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Böhmová, K., Mihalák, M., Pröger, T., Srámek, R., Widmayer, P.: Robust routing in urban public transportation: how to find reliable journeys based on past observations. In: 13th Workshop on Algorithmic Approaches for Transportation Modelling, Optimization, and Systems (ATMOS), pp. 27–41 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Hershberger, J., Suri, S.: Vickrey prices and shortest paths: what is an edge worth? In: Proceedings of the 42nd Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS), pp. 252–259. IEEE Computer Society (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Roditty, L.: On the k-simple shortest paths problem in weighted directed graphs. In: Proceedings of the 18th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA). SIAM (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Sedgewick, R.: Algorithms in C, Part 5: Graph Algorithms, 3rd edn. Addison-Wesley Professional, Reading (2001) Google Scholar