Deposit Build-Up on Prosthetic Eyes and a Three-Phase Model of Prosthetic Eye Wear
How patients might best care for their anophthalmic socket and maintain their prostheses in optimal condition is based upon an understanding of the anophthalmic socket’s response to prosthetic eye wear. Knowing the nature of tear protein deposits that interface between the prosthesis and the conjunctival lining of the socket is as important a part of this understanding as knowing how the micro-environment of the socket might change during long periods of continuous wear.
KeywordsContact Lens Surface Deposit Physiological Homeostasis Prosthesis Removal Conjunctival Inflammation
- 1.Pine KR, Sloan B, Jacobs R. Deposit build-up on prosthetic eyes and the implications for conjunctival inflammation and mucoid discharge. Clin Ophthalmol. 2012;6:1–8.Google Scholar
- 4.Franklin VJ, Tigue B, Tonge S. Contact lens care: part 4 – contact lens deposit build-up, discoloration and spoilation mechanisms. Optician. 2001;222(580):16–26.Google Scholar
- 6.McMonnies C, Lowe R. After-care. In: Phillips AJ, Speedwell L, editors. Contact lenses. 5th ed. Edinburgh: Butterworth Heinemann Elsevier; 2007. p. 388–9.Google Scholar
- 7.Franklin VJ. Cleaning efficacy of single-purpose surfactant cleaners and multi-purpose solutions. CLAO J. 1997;20(2):63–8.Google Scholar
- 11.Pine KR, Sloan B, Kyu Yeon IH, Swift S, Jacobs RJ. Deposit buildup on prosthetic eye material (in vitro) and its effect on surface wettability. Clinical Ophthalmol. 2013;7: 313–319.Google Scholar
- 16.Biology online. Available from: http://www.biology-online.org/4/1_physiological_homeostasis.html. Accessed 27 Jun 2015.
- 17.Zinni Y. Bacteria homeostasis. eHow. Available from: http://www.ehow.com/info_8706627_bacteria-homeo-stasis.html. Accessed 27 Jun 2015.
- 19.Sun MT, Pirbhai A, Selva D, Bacterial bio- films associated with ocular prosthesis. Discipline of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, South Australian Institute of Ophthalmology and Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide. 2013.Google Scholar