This chapter provides the reader with a context for the present-day practice of ocular prosthetics. It begins with myths from ancient Egypt and draws upon a range of publications [1–10] to summarise the history of prosthetic eyes from that time to the present day. Some of the current organisations and training establishments serving ocular prosthetics emerged over the last century, and these form the foundation for the profession of ocular prosthetics going forwards.
KeywordsContact Lens Dental Technician Glass Lens Facial Prosthesis Dental Technology
- 1.Handley N. Artificial eyes and the artificialisation of the human face. In: Timmermann C, Anderson J, editors. Devices and designs: medical technologies in historical perspective. Basingstoke: Palgrave; 2006. p. 97–111.Google Scholar
- 2.Conroy B, Hulterstrom A. The history and development of facial prosthetics. Dent Tech. 1978;31(3):8–15.Google Scholar
- 11.Cerullo L, McKinstry RE. Ocular prostheses. In: McKinstry RE, editor. Fundamentals of facial prosthetics. Arlington: ABI Professional Publications; 1995. p. 99–116.Google Scholar
- 12.Wolff E. Anatomy of the eye and orbit. 6th ed. London: H K Lewis & Co. Ltd.; 1968.Google Scholar
- 13.Ott K, Serlin DH, Mihm S. Artificial parts, practical lives: modern histories of prosthetics. New York: University Press; 2002.Google Scholar
- 14.Kollewe J, Wearden G. ICI: from Perspex to paints. Available from: www.guardian.co.uk. Accessed 15 May 2013.
- 16.Le Grand Associates. Available from: http://www.legrandeyes.net. Accessed 27 Jun 2015.
- 17.Science Museum. Artificial eyes. Available from: http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/techniques/artificialeyes.aspx. Accessed 27 Jun 2015.
- 19.Slonim MD, Martino MD. Eye was there: a patient’s guide to coping with the loss of an eye (Kindle Locations 1080–1094). Bloomington: AuthorHouse, Bloomington; 2011. Kindle Edition.Google Scholar
- 20.Ocularists.net. Professional associations of ocularists. Available from: http://www.Ocularists.net. Accessed 27 Jun 2015.
- 21.L V Prasad Eye Institute. Available from: http://www.patientcare.lvpei.org/eye-hospital/clinical-services/ocular-prosthesis.html. Accessed 27 Jun 2015.
- 22.Lamb J, Sabell A. The history of contact lenses. In: Phillips AJ, Speedwell L, editors. Contact lenses. 5th ed. Edinburgh: Butterworth Heinemann Elsevier; 2007.Google Scholar