Domain Decomposition in Shallow Lake Modelling for Operational Forecasting of Flooding
For the prediction of flooding at the borders of the major lakes in the Netherlands, a new system is in operational use. At the moment the time horizon of forecasts is 2 days ahead. To enlarge this time horizon, the shallow-water models of the lakes will be applied in combination with short-to-medium weather ensemble forecasts up to 15 days. Therefore, in this paper we study how to run ensembles with these models efficiently on current hardware. For this purpose, we use domain decomposition in the shallow-water models to have a good balance between computational times and (parallel) efficiency.
KeywordsOptimized Schwarz Parallel performance Shallow lakes Shallow-water solver
We thank SURFsara (www.surfsara.nl) for their support in using the Lisa linux-cluster and the Dutch national supercomputer Cartesius. We acknowledge PRACE for awarding a part of this support.
- 2.M. Borsboom, M. Genseberger, B. van ’t Hof, E. Spee, Domain decomposition in shallow-water modelling for practical flow applications, in Domain Decomposition Methods in Science and Engineering XXI, ed. by J. Erhel et al. (Springer, Berlin, 2014), pp. 557–565Google Scholar
- 3.COSMO: Consortium for small-scale modeling (2015), www.cosmo-model.org (online)
- 4.ECMWF: European centre for medium-range weather forecasts (2015), www.ecmwf.int (online)
- 5.M. Genseberger, A. Smale, H. Hartholt, Real-time forecasting of flood levels, wind driven waves, wave runup, and overtopping at dikes around Dutch lakes, in 2nd European Conference on FLOODrisk Management, Comprehensive Flood Risk Management, ed. by F. Klijn, T. Schweckendiek (Taylor & Francis Group, London, 2013), pp. 1519–1525Google Scholar
- 6.Simona: WAQUA/TRIWAQ - two- and three-dimensional shallow-water flow model (2012), http://apps.helpdeskwater.nl/downloads/extra/simona/release/doc/techdoc/waquapublic/sim1999-01.pdf
- 7.A.J. van der Steen, Overview of recent supercomputers. Technical Report (2011), Online at http://www.euroben.nl/reports.php [An earlier version of this report appeared in J.J. Dongarra and A.J. van der Steen. High-performance computing systems: status and outlook. Acta Numerica 21, 379–474 (2012)]
- 8.A.J. van der Steen, Overview of recent supercomputers. Technical Report (2012). [See A.J. van der Steen (2011)]Google Scholar
- 9.A.J. van der Steen, Overview of recent supercomputers. Technical report (2013). [See A.J. van der Steen (2011)]Google Scholar