Degradation of Mechanical Proprieties of TiN Coatings under Cyclic Nanoindentation
TiN thin film was deposited on 100C6 steel (AISI 52100) substrate with the PVD technique using magnetron sputtering. Morphological examination showed the presence of domes and craters which are uniformly distributed over the entire surface. Mechanical properties, plastic and elastic deformation resistance of TiN coating were studied using conventional indentation method. Cyclic nanoindentation technique, with variation of loading rate, was used to analyze the failure modes and depth profile of mechanical proprieties of TiN thin film. Cyclic nanoindentation technique was performed with a Berkovich indenter at maximum loads of 100 mN, then unloaded to 100% of the maximum load and repeatedly re-loaded. The indentation cycles were 200 cycles. When the loading rate was increased from 200mN/mn to 400mN/mn, the mechanical proprieties were decreased. For the highest loading rate (400 mN/mn), hardness and Young’s modulus falling have reached to 50, 50 % and 71,28% respectively.
Keywordscyclic nanoindentation thin film depth profile mechanical properties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- PalDey, S., Deevi, S.C.: Mater. Sci. Eng. A-Struct. 342 58 (2003)Google Scholar
- Vaz, F., Rebouta, L., Andritschky, M., da Silva, M.F., Soares, J.C.: J. Mater. Process. Technol. 169, 92–93 (1999)Google Scholar
- Sprute, T., Tillmann, W., Grisales, D., Selvadurai, U., Fischer, G.: Surface & Coatings Technology, 369–379 (2014)Google Scholar
- Fuentes, G.G., Almandoz, E., Pierrugues, R., Martinez, R., Rodriguez, R.J., Caro, J., Vilaseca, M.: Surf. Coat. Technol. 205, 1368 (2010)Google Scholar
- Hainsworth, S.V., Soh, W.C.: Surface and Coatings Technology, 163–164, 515–520 (2003)Google Scholar
- Bouzakis, K.-D., Skordarisa, G., Hadjiyiannisa, S., Asimakopoulosa, A., Mirisidisa, J., Michailidisa, N., Erkensb, G., Cremerb, R., Klockec, F., Kleinjansc, M.: Thin Solid Films, 264–271, 447–448 (2004)Google Scholar
- Saraswati, T., Sritharan, T., Mhaisalkar, S., Breach, C.D., Wulff, F.: J. Mater. Sci. Eng., Gogotsi, Y.G., Domnich, V., Dub, S.N., Kailer, A., Nickel, K.G.: J. Mater. Res. 15, 871 (2000)Google Scholar
- Trivedi, R., Cech, V.: Surface & Coatings Technology 205, S286–S289 (2010)Google Scholar
- Khlifi, K., Ben Cheikh Larbi, A.: Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology 1, 28 (2014)Google Scholar