Marketing to Chinese-Australians
The diverse cultural composition of the Australian society poses great potential and challenge for marketers. Multicultural marketing has been ignored by most private companies in Australia. Using the Chinese community as an example, this paper demonstrates that good research and planning are key factors to the success in multicultural marketing.
KeywordsChinese Community Chinese Reader Chinese Restaurant Chinese Migrant Overseas Country
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics 1989. 1991 Census of Population and Housing: Content and Procedures. ABS Catalogue No. 2613.0.Google Scholar
- Caldwell Management Pty. Ltd 1994. Proceedings of the Multicultural Marketing Conference. 19–20 July 1994, Australian National Maritime Museum, Sydney.Google Scholar
- Chan, Alvin M. 1995. “Multicultural Marketing in Australia.” In Proceedings of the Seventh Bi-Annual World Marketing Congress. Eds. K. Grant and I. Walker. Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. III–I: 2–71–2–76.Google Scholar
- Chan, Alvin and Pino Migliorino. 1993. “The Australian Chinese Community in New South Wales.” Access China. 12 (December): 18–22.Google Scholar
- Hui, M. K., A. Joy, C. Kim, and M. Laroche. 1992. “Acculturation as a Determinant of Consumer Behavior: Conceptual and Methodological Issues.” In Winter Educators’ Conference. Ed. Russell Belk et al. Chicago, IL: American Marketing Association, 466–473.Google Scholar
- National Population Council. 1987. Guide to Appropriate Use of Terminology Employed in the Context of Immigration. Multiculturalism and Ethnic Affairs. Canberra: Australian Government Publishing Service.Google Scholar
- Struik, Andrew. 1994. “Housing Demand by New Immigrants.” BIPR Bulletin. 12 (October). Bureau of Immigration and Population Research, 72–74.Google Scholar
- The Sydney Morning Herald. August 3,1994.Google Scholar
- The Sydney Morning Herald. December 8,1994.Google Scholar
- The Sydney Morning Herald. February 4,1995.Google Scholar
- Tonkin, S., L.S. Williams, and R. Ackland. 1993. The Relationship Between Visa Category and the Demand for Housing. Canberra: Australian Government Printing Service.Google Scholar
- Zafiropoulos, Mike. 1994. “The Ethnic Media in Australia.” BIPR Bulletin. 12 (October). Bureau of Immigration and Population Research, 28–34.Google Scholar