Fractional Repetition and Erasure Batch Codes
- 782 Downloads
Batch codes are a family of codes that represent a distributed storage system (DSS) of n nodes so that any batch of t data symbols can be retrieved by reading at most one symbol from each node. Fractional repetition codes are a family of codes for DSS that enable efficient uncoded repairs of failed nodes. In this work these two families of codes are combined to obtain fractional repetition batch (FRB) codes which provide both uncoded repairs and parallel reads of subsets of stored symbols. In addition, new batch codes which can tolerate node failures are considered. This new family of batch codes is called erasure combinatorial batch codes (ECBCs). Some properties of FRB codes and ECBCs and examples of their constructions based on transversal designs and affine planes are presented.
KeywordsFractional repetition codes Batch codes Transversal designs Affine planes
The author thanks Tuvi Etzion and Mark Silberstein for the valuable discussions. The author also wishes to thank COST Action IC1104 “Random Network Coding and Designs over GF(q)” on travel support to present this work.
- 6.El Rouayheb, S., Ramchandran, K.: Fractional repetition codes for repair in distributed storage systems. In: Proceedings of the 48th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing (Allerton), Urbana-Champaign, pp. 1510–1517 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Ishai, Y., Kushilevitz, E., Ostrovsky, R., Sahai, A.: Batch codes and their applications. In: Proceedings of the 36th Annual ACM Symposium on the Theory of computing (STOC’04), Chicago, pp. 262–271 (2004). doi:10.1145/1007352.1007396Google Scholar
- 8.MacWilliams, F.J., Sloane, N.J.A.: The Theory of Error-Correcting Codes. North-Holland, Amsterdam (1978)Google Scholar
- 9.Olmez, O., Ramamoorthy, A.: Repairable replication-based storage systems using resolvable designs. In: Proceedings of the 50th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing (Allerton), Monticello, pp. 1174–1181 (2012). doi:10.1109/Allerton.2012.6483351Google Scholar
- 11.Pawar, S., Noorshams, N., El Rouayheb, S., Ramchandran, K.: Dress codes for the storage cloud: simple randomized constructions. In: Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT 2011), St. Petersburg, pp. 2338–2342 (2011). doi:10.1109/ISIT.2011.6033980
- 14.Silberstein, N., Etzion, T.: Optimal fractional repetition codes (2014). arXiv:1401.4734
- 15.Silberstein, N., Gál, A.: Optimal combinatorial batch codes based on block designs (2013). Accepted for publication in Designs, Codes and Cryptography (Springer) http://dx.doi:10.1007/s10623-014-0007-9Google Scholar