Acid Resistance of Ultra High-Performance Concrete (UHPC)
Based on the knowledge of the deterioration mechanisms of different acid solutions the performance of UHPC – amongst others – in different acid environments was comparatively tested. The interconnection between the acid solutions and UHPC was examined by pH-value measurements, light microscopy (LM), scanning electron microscopy with energy dispersive X-ray analyzer (SEM + EDX), X-ray diffraction (XRD) and thermal analysis (DTA/TG). To achieve a consistent accelerated and reproducible ageing the acid solution has to be constantly homogenized, the pH-value and the saturation of the solution has to be controlled as well as adjusted. The results show that concretes with very high strength (such as UHPC) have not automatically an excellent resistance against acid solutions. A very high acid resistance can only be achieved by a very low capillary porosity and a very low reactivity against the acid solution.
KeywordsAcid resistance Ultra High-Performance Concrete (UHPC)
- 1.Huettl, R., & Hillemeier, B. (2000). Hochleistungsbeton – Beispiel Säureresistenz. Beton- und Fertigteiltechnik (BFT) International, 1, 52–60 (in German).Google Scholar
- 2.Müller, H. S., & Scheydt, J. (2011). Dauerhaftigkeit und Nachhaltigkeit von ultrahochfesten Beton. Beton, 60:336–343 (in German).Google Scholar
- 3.Mueller, C., Palecki, S., Möser, B., & Frank, L. (2010, May/June). Durability of Ultra-High Performance Concrete (UHPC). Proceedings of the 3rd International fib Congress incorporating the PCI annual Convention and Bridge conference, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- 4.Franke, L., Schmidt, H., & Schmidt-Doehl, F. (2010). Prüfung der Beständigkeit von Mörtelprodukten gegenüber saurem Angriff bis XA3. Beton, 59:20–31 (in German).Google Scholar
- 5.Franke, L., Deckelmann, G., & Schmidt, H. (2008, March). Behaviour of ultra high-performance concrete with respect to chemical attack. Proceedings of the 2rd International Symposium on Ultra High-Performance Concrete, Kassel.Google Scholar
- 6.Koenig, A., & Dehn, F. (2015). Test method to determine the acid resistance of conretes. Beton- und Stahlbetonbau 110, 1, 34–40 (in German).Google Scholar
- 7.König, A.; Dehn, F.: Main considerations for the determination and evaluation of the acid resistance of cementitious materials. Materials and Structures, 26.03.2015, doi: 10.1617/s11527-015-0605-7.