Representing Roots on the Basis of Reeb Graphs in Plant Phenotyping
This paper presents a new representation for root images based on Reeb graphs. The representation proposed captures lengths and distances in root structures as well as locations of branches, numbers of lateral roots and the locations of the root tips. An analysis of root images using Reeb graphs is presented and results are compared to ground truth measurements. This paper shows, that the Reeb graph based approach not only captures the characteristics needed for phenotyping of plants, but it also provides a solution to the problem of overlapping roots in the images. Using a Reeb graph based representation, such overlaps can be directly detected without further analysis, during the computation of the graph.
KeywordsRoot representation Root structure analysis Topological graphs Reeb graphs Graph-based shape representation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Blum, H.: A Transformation for Extracting New Descriptors of Shape. In: Wathen-Dunn, W. (ed.) Models for the Perception of Speech and Visual Form, pp. 362–380. MIT Press, Cambridge (1967)Google Scholar
- 5.EL Khoury, R., Vandeborre, J.P., Daoudi, M.: 3D mesh Reeb graph computation using commute-time and diffusion distances. In: Proceedings SPIE: Three-Dimensional Image Processing (3DIP) and Applications II. vol. 8290, pp. 82900H–82900H-10 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Galkovskyi, T., Mileyko, Y., Bucksch, A., Moore, B., Symonova, O., Price, C., Topp, C., Iyer-Pascuzzi, A., Zurek, P., Fang, S., Harer, J., Benfey, P., Weitz, J.: GiA roots: software for the high throughput analysis of plant root system architecture. BMC Plant Biology 12(1), 116 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Hayashi, M., Nishimura, M.: Arabidopsis thaliana - a model organism to study plant peroxisomes. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular. Cell Research 1763(12), 1382–1391 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Janusch, I., Kropatsch, W.G., Busch, W.: Reeb graph based examination of root development. In: Proceedings of the 19th Computer Vision Winter Workshop, pp. 43–50 (Febraury 2014)Google Scholar
- 13.Slovak, R., Göschl, C., Su, X., Shimotani, K., Shiina, T., Busch, W.: A scalable open-source pipeline for large-scale root phenotyping of Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell Online (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Stewart, J.: Calculus. Cengage Learning Emea, 6th edition. international met edn (February 2008)Google Scholar