Introduction: Mindful Medical Practice
Many medical schools and graduate school programs are teaching mindfulness in various ways, and this is gradually becoming accepted into mainstream Western medical settings. Yet, the inner working of the minds and hearts of practitioners is found in only a few qualitative studies with a small number of participants. In this preliminary chapter, mindfulness is defined; how it can be integrated into clinical work is described; and narrative medicine is introduced. It sets the stage for the clinical narratives and therapeutic insights that follow, chapter by chapter.
KeywordsMindful medical practice Narrative medicine Whole person care
- 4.Cooperrider D, Whitney D. Appreciative inquiry: a positive revolution in change. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler; 2012.Google Scholar
- 6.Satir V. The new peoplemaking. Palo Alto: Science and Behaviour Books Inc; 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.Kramer G. Insight dialogue: the interpersonal path to freedom. Boston: Shambhala Publications; 2007.Google Scholar
- 8.Irving J, Park J, Fitzpatrick M, Dobkin PL, Chen A, Hutchinson T. Experiences of health care professionals enrolled in mindfulness-based medical practice: a grounded theory model. Mindfulness. 2014. doi:10.1007/s12671-012-0147-9.Google Scholar
- 9.Irving JA, Williams G, Chen A, Park J, Dobkin PL. Mindfulness-based medical practice (MBMP): a mixed-methods study exploring benefits for physicians enrolled in an 8-week adapted MBSR program. In: 2012 AMA-CMA-BMA International Conference on Physician Health (ICPH); 25–27 Oct 2012; Montreal, QC; 2012.Google Scholar
- 10.Irving JA, Dobkin PL, Park-Saltzman J, Fitzpatrick M, Hutchinson TA. Mindfulness-based medical practice: exploring the link between self-compassion and wellness. Int J Whole Person Care. 2014;1(1). http://ijwpc.mcgill.ca/. Accessed: 27 June 2014.
- 12.Stewart MA. Effective physician-patient communication and health outcomes: a review. Can Med Assoc J. 1995;152(9):1423–33.Google Scholar
- 15.Hick SF, Bien T, editors. Mindfulness and the therapeutic relationship. New York: Guilford Press; 2008.Google Scholar
- 22.Charon R. Narrative medicine: honoring the stories of illness. New York: Oxford University Press; 2006.Google Scholar