A Computational Model to Investigate the Influence of Spacing Errors on Spur Gear Pair Dynamics
In this paper, a computational model is developed to investigate the influence of tooth spacing errors on the dynamics of spur gear pairs. This finite element based computational model implicitly includes periodically-time varying gear mesh stiffness and nonlinearities caused by tooth separations in resonance regions. The model can simulate the long period transmission error induced dynamic response from a spur gear with different spacing error patterns and predicts both time domain histories and frequency-domain spectra of dynamic mesh force and dynamic transmission error. The dynamic responses due to both deterministic and random teeth spacing errors are predicted and compared to the previously generated results from a lumped parameter model capable of utilizing experimentally measured transmission error as the realistic excitation mechanism. This study also enables creation of an extensive database of dynamic response spectra of gear pairs under the influence of spacing errors that will later be utilized for investigating the diagnostics of gear pairs.
KeywordsSpacing errors Dynamics Nonlinear effects Contact Manufacturing
The author would like to acknowledge Dr. S. Vijayakar and V. Ambarisha of Advanced Numerical Solutions for making the gear analysis package External2D available and D. Fyler for running the computational models and generating some of the results presented in this paper.
- 1.AGMA Technical Standards, ANSI/AGMA 2015-1-A01Google Scholar
- 8.Padmasolala G, Lin HH, Oswald FB (2000) Influence of tooth spacing error on gears with and without profile modifications, NASA/TM-2000-210061 PTG-14436Google Scholar
- 9.Wijaya H (2001) Effect of spacing errors and run-out on transverse load sharing and dynamic factors and idler gear dynamic analysis, MS thesis, The Ohio State University, ColumbusGoogle Scholar
- 11.Milliren M (2011) An experimental investigation into the various errors on the transmission error and root stresses of spur gears, MS thesis, The Ohio State University, OhioGoogle Scholar
- 12.Handschuh M (2013) An investigation into the impact of random spacing errors on static transmission error and root stresses of spur gear pairs, MS thesis, The Ohio State University, OhioGoogle Scholar
- 13.Vijayakar SM (1990) A combined surface integral and finite element solution for a three dimensional contact problem. Int J Numer Methods Eng 34:525–545Google Scholar
- 14.External2D (2014) Advanced Numerical Solutions, Inc., HilliardGoogle Scholar
- 15.Inalpolat M, Handschuh M, Kahraman A (2014) Impact of indexing errors on spur gear dynamics. In: International gearing conference 2014, LyonGoogle Scholar