An Investigation of Hotel Room Reservation: What Are the Diverse Pricing Strategies Among Competing Hotels?
In the age of e-tourism, the Internet makes hotel room rates more transparent to customers. It is widely known that hotel room rates fluctuate frequently. However, no prior study has been conducted to investigate the pricing strategies of competing hotels. To address this deficiency, the current study examined this issue. Findings indicate that hotel room rates are low and steady during early reservation period (e.g., 2.5 months). However, during the last 10 days before the check-in date, hotel room rates fluctuate the most, indicating that hotels are currently adopting diverse pricing strategies. Results also show that the best reservation time period to obtain the best available rate is 30–20 days of advance purchase. Moreover, last-minute offers rarely exist among the investigated hotels. These findings can provide hotel managers with insights about effective pricing strategies and strategic management, enabling them to inform the customers about the best reservation time period to obtain optimal room rates.
KeywordsPricing strategy Hotel Competition Room reservation
The work described in this paper was supported by a grant funded by the Research Grants Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China (GRF Project Number: 15503814, B-Q45Y). This study was also supported by research grants funded by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (G-UB22 and G-YK91).
- Freed, J. Q. (2013). The evolution of hotel room distribution. Hotel News Now. Retrieved June 5, 2014, from http://www.hotelnewsnow.com/Article/11095/
- Hanks, R. D., Cross, R. G., & Noland, R. P. (1992). Discounting in the hotel industry: A new approach. Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 33(1), 15–23.Google Scholar
- Hotel ICON. (2014). Rooms. Retrieved June 18, 2014, from http://www.hotel-icon.com/rooms.aspx#/icon-rooms
- Li, B. H. (2010). Fifty percent increase of hotel room rates scare Shanghai customers away. East Day. Retrieved June 18, 2014, from http://xwcb.eastday.com/c/20100927/u1a804763.html
- Nagle, T. T., & Holden, R. K. (2002). The strategy and tactics of pricing (3rd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- NetMarketShare. (2014). Google – Global market share on desktop. Retrieved June 10, 2014, from http://www.netmarketshare.com/google-market-share
- Yesawich, P. B., Pepperdine, J., & Brown, J. (2000). National leisure travel monitor. Orlando: Yesawich, Pepperdine & Brown.Google Scholar