Quantitative Analysis of “ADV+N” via Cognitive Property Knowledgebase
The “ADV+N” construction is a special phenomenon in mandarin Chinese. The rule is widely accepted that the nouns having descriptive semantic features are more likely to be used in the construction. However, the descriptive semantic features are casually used in previous works. How many semantic features a noun has and how strong the relationship between the noun and feature are not well studied. In this paper, we consult the Chinese Cognitive Property Knowledgebase to get the semantic features of the nouns. We find that the salient features of a noun permit the noun to be used in the “ADV+N” construction. Then we put forward a metonymy model to explain the mechanism of the ADV+N construction. However, we also find that many nouns having salient features can not be used in the “ADV+N” construction.
Keywords:ADV+N Cognitive Property Language Knowledgebase Cognitive Linguistics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zhang, Y.S.: The Semantic Base and Function Variation of Nouns and ADV+N (名词的语义基础及功能转化与副词修饰名词). Language Teaching and Linguistic Studies, China 4 (1996). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 2.Shi, C.H.: The Descriptive Features of Noun and the Probility of the Construction of ADV+N (名词性的描述性语义特征与副名组合的可能性). Chinese Language, China 3 (2001). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 3.Li, B., Chen, J.J., Chen X.H.: Collection and Analysis on Chinese Cognitive Properties Based on Web Data. Applied Linguistics, China 3 (2012). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 4.Wu, L.H.: Studies on Chinese ADV+N (现代汉语程度副词组合研究). Dissertation of Jinan University, China (2006). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 5.Xing, F.Y.: On ADV+N (关于副词修饰名词). Chinese Language, China 5 (1962). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 6.Zou, S.H.: The Feature Emergence of Nouns (名词性状特征的外化问题). Chinese Construction, China 2 (1990). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 7.Yu, G.Y.: ADV+N (副+名). Chinese Construction, China 1 (1992). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 8.Hu, M.Y.: “Very Passion”, “Very Yougth” ect. (“很激情”“很青春”等). Chinese Construction, China 4 (1992). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 9.Peng, L.Z.: Very have NP (说很有NP). Chinese Studies, China 2 (1992). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang, G.A.: On ADV+N (关于副词修饰名词问题). Chinese Language Learning, China 6 (1995). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 11.Chu, Z.X., Liu, J.S.: Detail Emergence and ADV+N (“细节显现”与“副+名”). Chinese Construction, China 6 (1997). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 12.Cai, H., Sun, Y., Zhang, H.: The Emerging Idiomaticity: An ERP Case Study on the Degree Adverb+Noun Construction. Journal of PLA University of Foreign Languages, China 1 (2013). (in Chinese)Google Scholar