A Comparison of Methods for Automatic Term Extraction for Domain Analysis
Fourteen word frequency metrics were tested to evaluate their effectiveness in identifying vocabulary in a domain. Fifteen domain-engineering projects were examined to measure how closely the vocabularies selected by the fourteen word frequency metrics were to the vocabularies produced by domain engineers. Stemming and stopword removal were also evaluated to measure their impact on selecting proper vocabulary terms. The results of the experiment show that stemming and stopword removal do improve performance and that term frequency is a valuable contributor to performance. Most word frequency metrics gave similar results. A few of the metrics did poorly compared to the others.
Keywordsdomain engineering vocabulary extraction stemming stoplists word frequency metrics software reuse domain documents
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Frakes, W.: A Method for Bounding Domains. In: IASTED International Conference Software Engineering and Applications, Las Vegas, NV, pp. 269–272 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Frakes, W.B.: Stemming Algorithms. In: Frakes, W.B., Baeza-Yates, R. (eds.) Information Retrieval: Data Structures and Algorithms, pp. 131–160. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Frakes, W., Prieto-Diaz, R., Fox, C.: DARE: Domain Analysis and Reuse Environment. Annals of Software Engineering, 125–141 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Justeson, J., Katz, S.: Technical Terminology: Some Linguistic Properties and an Algorithm for Identification in Text. In: Natural Language Engineering, pp. 9–27. IBM Research Division, Almadem (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Noreault, T., McGill, M., Koll, M.: A performance evaluation of similarity measures, document term weighting schemes and representations in a Boolean environment. In: Proceedings of the 3rd Annual ACM Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, pp. 57–76. Butterworth and Co., Cambridge (1980)Google Scholar
- 11.Tilley, J.: A Comparison of Statistical Filtering Methods for Automatic Term Extraction for Domain Analysis. Masters Thesis, Computer Science Department, Virginia Tech (2009)Google Scholar