Research Objects Interlinking: The Case of Dryad Repository
Interlinking research objects using the RDF links facilitates sharing and data discovery on the Web of Data. This works toward enriching the research repositories by linking their research artifacts to various scientific or even general data on the Web. In this paper, we experiment on an interlinking approach over Dryad, a research object repository, to a digital library dataset in the Linked Open Data cloud. We fetch data from both targets in different steps, run an interlinking tool and report as well as analyze the results. The generated outputs and assessed matched links show that interlinking a research dataset like Dryad to Web of Data brings an added value to the repository, as it connects its research artefacts to scientific objects of other datasets.
KeywordsResearch object Linked Data Interlinking Dryad
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Guéret, C.: Digital Archives As Versatile Platforms for Sharing and Interlinking Research Artefacts. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Digital Preservation of Research Methods and Artefacts, pp. 1–7. ACM, New York (2013), http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2499583.2499588 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Dryad, a general-purposed research data repository, http://datadryad.org/ (accessed July 4, 2014)
- 4.DataCite, research data repository, https://www.datacite.org/ (accessed July 4, 2014)
- 5.Greenberg, J.: Theoretical Considerations of Lifecycle Modeling: An Analysis of the Dryad Repository Demonstrating Automatic Metadata Propagation, Inheritance, and Value System Adoption. Cataloging & Classification Quarterly 47(3-4), 380–402 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Limor, P.: The Role of Data Repositories in Reproducible Research (2013), http://isps.yale.edu/news/blog/2013/07/the-role-of-data-repositories-in-reproducible-research#.U7aAp_mSzQI
- 7.Rousidis, D.G.: Data Quality Issues and Content Analysis for Research Data Repositories: The Case of Dryad. In: Let’s Put Data to Use: Digital Scholarship for the Next Generation, 18th International Conference on Electronic Publishing, Thessaloniki, Greece, June 19-20 (2014), http://elpub.scix.net/cgi-bin/works/Show?106_elpub2014
- 8.Rajabi, E., Sicilia, M.-A., Sanchez-Alonso, S.: Interlinking Educational Data: an Experiment with GLOBE Resources, Salamanca, Spain (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Dietze, S., Yu, H.Q., Giordano, D., Kaldoudi, E., Dovrolis, N., Taibi, D.: Linked education: interlinking educational resources and the Web of data. In: Proceedings of the 27th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (Internet), pp. 366–371. ACM, New York (2012), http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2245276.2245347 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Scharffe, F., Euzenat, J.: MeLinDa: an interlinking framework for the web of data. Report No.: 1107.4502 (July 2011), http://arxiv.org/abs/1107.4502
- 11.The Datalift project, a catalyser for the Web of data. The Datalift project, a catalyser for the Web of data, http://datalift.org (accessed July 4, 2014)
- 13.Rajabi, E., Sicilia, M.-A., Sanchez-Alonso, S.: An empirical study on the evaluation of interlinking tools on the Web of Data. Journal of Information Science (June 11, 2014), http://jis.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/06/10/0165551514538151.abstract