Automatic Multichannel Simplification with Low Impacts on Sound Pressure at Ears
People hope to use minimum arrangement of loudspeakers to reproduce the experience of the film 3D sound at home. Although the Ando’s conversion can convert n- to m-channel sound system by maintaining the sound pressure at the origin, it is time-consuming and expensive to use lots of subjective evaluations to distinguish the experience of spatial sound reproduced by m-loudspeaker arrangements. To solve this problem, we not only ensure the sound pressure at the origin invariably, but also limit the absolute error of sound pressure at ears to a given threshold or less while simplifying from n- to (n-1)-channel, and an automatic simplification algorithm from n- to m-channel sound system is proposed. The 22.2 multichannel sound system without two low-frequency effect channels as an example can be simplified to eight channels automatically and the total loudspeaker arrangements is 23. The subjective evaluation is comparable to that of the Ando’s conversion and the cost of subjective evaluation is saved.
Keywordssound field reproduction three-dimensional sound multichannel audio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Linkwitz, S.: A Model for Rendering Stereo Signals in the ITD-Range of Hearing. In: Audio Engineering Society Convention 133. Audio Engineering Society (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Ahrens, J.: Analytic Methods of Sound Field Synthesis. Springer (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Spors, S., Wierstorf, H., Geier, M.: Comparison of modal versus delay-and-sum beamforming in the context of data-based binaural synthesis. In: Audio Engineering Society Convention 132 Audio Engineering Society (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Hamasaki, K., Matsui, K., Sawaya, I., Okubo, H.: The 22.2 Multichannel Sounds and its Reproduction at Home and Personal Enviroment. In: Audio Engineering Society Conference: 43rd International Conference: Audio for Wirelessly Networked Personal Devices. Audio Engineering Society (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Sawaya, I., Oode, S., Ando, A., Hamasaki, K.: Size and Shape of Listening Area Reproduced by Three-dimensional Multichannel Sound System with Various Numbers of Loudspeakers. In: Audio Engineering Society Convention 131. Audio Engineering Society (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Recommendation, ITU-R BS. 1284-2: General Methods for the Subjective Assessment of Sound Quality. International Telecommunications Union (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Report ITU-R BS.2159-4.: Multichannel sound technology in home and broadcasting applications (2012)Google Scholar